Introduced the new chicks today

drmolarmagic

Songster
Aug 8, 2019
Brooklyn, NY
So my 2 chicks one Polish and one Amber star are about 7 weeks old now and so I’ve moved them, still in the crate, covered with a mesh, into the main bird house to “introduce” them to all the other birds ( silkies, pigeons, doves) while I was setting up before I covered them 2 tangerine doves came over to checkout the new arrivals
I’m hoping to let them out of the crate with the other birds at about 10 weeks but we’ll see how it goes. This is new for me I’ve never raised chicks not “of the flock”. Exciting to see them there

Attachments

• 9C65F8A4-D5BE-4D1B-A5CC-3A612AFC1BE3.jpeg
    9C65F8A4-D5BE-4D1B-A5CC-3A612AFC1BE3.jpeg
    772.5 KB · Views: 15
Update! I've started leaving the mesh cover off of the bin during the day and the 2 your chickens are hopping out and spending the day exploring. I got there last night and the Amber star was hanging with one of my silkies. and as they walk around all the other birds seem to not care so I think the integration is going well and I'm guessing in another week I can loose the bin and allow them to just be in the bird house with everyone

newchicks.jpg

UPDATE: These two are adorable and they are also inseparable! The smaller Polish Chick follows the Amber star everywhere like a shadow, and they are very cute together
Other birds are ok with them, only my White Silkie who is very broody now is not happy with them and pecks when they come near

Back
Top Bottom