1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Introduced three new ones to the flock yesterday

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by screager312, May 29, 2011.

1. screager312

screager312 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2010
    Mission
    When does the pecking stop? They are all the same age, around 7 weeks. Now I have 11 total and 3 of them I am 99% sure are roos. Only two of the new ones get picked on and mostly by the roos. I'm starting to feel sorry for them.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    As long as they aren't causing each other bodily harm- let them duke it out. I wouldn't think it would last more than a day or so. Maybe give them some extra places to hide so they don't become to stressed. Chickens can be some harsh little critters. Good luck!

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Agree. As long as the fight is relatively fair, it's just gotta go on until it's over. All being the same size/age is a good thing.

4. screager312

Dec 9, 2010
    Mission
    We have a semi enclosed area and the 3rd one hangs out in there eating and drinking a lot. We pen them up at night and when I checked up on them before I went to bed they were sleeping with each other.

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Quote:That's a good start. I bet they'll all be one big happy family soon. When I add new birds to my flock- I always add them at night. They always wake in the morning and act like the newbies have always been there. Not sure if this is the way you did it, but its a thought for the next time you add on to the flock.

6. screager312

Dec 9, 2010
    Mission
    I introduced them yesterday morning thinking by bed time everyone would be happy. Boy was I wrong.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by