Introducing 1 New Hen to 1 Hen

mmd2240

Hatching
Oct 6, 2017
Hello BYC, I am wondering the best protocol for introducing a new hen for my situation? I have one 1yr hen who recently lost her sister and I have acquired a new 8mo hen to replace her friend. Then I keep reading about quarantine for a month and Im not sure what capacity I could do that. And how to introduce them so they don't fight enough to injure? I have a pretty small coop that has two sections one covered with the perch and boxes and an attached outside wire "run" its pretty much a cage. There is a locking door from the inside to the cage and from each section to the outside. My current hen is free range in the backyard and I currently keep the coop always open day and night. No coyote or bobcat ever come this far in the city. TIA

Welcome to BYC! :frow

I'm not completely clear on your set-up so forgive me if I am suggesting something silly. But, what I do, is try and allow the new chicken to be in some protected area - like a really huge dog folding kennel which I set up inside the run, with all the stuff the new chicken needs. That way, the two can see each other but the new one can get off by itself without being harassed. After 4 days/a week depending on how things seem to be going, I turn the new one loose but leave the kennel door open. (I usually tie it, so it can't be accidentally knocked shut.) Now, a certain amount of squabbling is totally natural. They need to work it out, and really it's generally best (as long as no serious injuries are occurring) to let them work it out on their own without too much interference.

I *have* just turned a new one loose, and then spent a lot of time making sure the new one knows where the food and water is, and is getting enough to eat/drink. If I do this I put in two places for food/water far apart from each other, and I make sure there are things like, oh, I don't know - pallets set up, or milk crates, or just something to break up the space and make places the newbie can take shelter.

They will fight, you can count on that. However generally speaking in a week or possibly two, they are just fine. You do need to give them time to figure it all out.

Welcome to BYC! :frow

I'm not completely clear on your set-up so forgive me if I am suggesting something silly. But, what I do, is try and allow the new chicken to be in some protected area - like a really huge dog folding kennel which I set up inside the run, with all the stuff the new chicken needs. That way, the two can see each other but the new one can get off by itself without being harassed. After 4 days/a week depending on how things seem to be going, I turn the new one loose but leave the kennel door open. (I usually tie it, so it can't be accidentally knocked shut.) Now, a certain amount of squabbling is totally natural. They need to work it out, and really it's generally best (as long as no serious injuries are occurring) to let them work it out on their own without too much interference.

I *have* just turned a new one loose, and then spent a lot of time making sure the new one knows where the food and water is, and is getting enough to eat/drink. If I do this I put in two places for food/water far apart from each other, and I make sure there are things like, oh, I don't know - pallets set up, or milk crates, or just something to break up the space and make places the newbie can take shelter.

They will fight, you can count on that. However generally speaking in a week or possibly two, they are just fine. You do need to give them time to figure it all out.

Thanks! In your set up does the current chicken/s peck at the new one through the kennel bars? I dont have a run their coop is on the ground and is very small. Theres a house component and an attached cage.

Well, no, because the chicken inside can move away from the bars. Chickens generally try and get away if another one is trying to go after them.

How small is your coop? You might want to measure it just so you know. Generally speaking you should allow 4 square feet per bird in the coop and 10 square feet per bird in the run. Bigger is always better. A lot of times social problems like fighting among chickens is caused by too little space.

Back
Top Bottom