1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Introducing 10wk olds to Flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MD, Oct 19, 2012.

1. MD

MD Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    San Mateo, CA
    I have two 10 wk olds who really need to get out of the garage. They have learned to escape everything I have used to block them into the brooder and they need more space. I have five 17 wk old pullets who I would love to stick them with, but am unsure if the results will be ugly. The two groups have been free ranging together, not as one cohesive group but in the same yard and they seem to ignore each other unless one of the little girls tries to take something a big girl wants. Then its a chase. I started bringing them out so they could see each other from day 3, so they are very familiar. The lowest temperature it is going to be this week is 50 so I thought the little girls would be all right. Advice?
    Thanks!
    Madeline

2. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    You can try it out, just make sure you are at the coop before dawn in case it doesn't go well, but it sounds like they will be pretty much ok since they have been free ranging together. Just may have a few sqwuables about roosting spots, which is normal.

3. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    And at 10 week they will be able to handle temps down to freezing I believe.

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    x2 They are already introduced, they have been rangeing together for over nine weeks. Just put them together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by