Introducing 12 wk olds to 6-7wk olds

Megs501

Songster
7 Years
Mar 2, 2012
Flint Hills KS
My Coop
My Coop
I searched the forum, but couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for in this question.

I have 5 6week old RIR girls. I am introducing 3 12week old barred rocks to the flock. I already bought the 3 older chickens =/ so I'm hoping this is okay. Is the age difference too great? I don't have another pen to separate them ... But I could probably rig one up to put in the run if I need to. I thought i had done enough reading, but now I'm concerned and second guessing my decision.

Any advice ro knowledge would be helpful! Thanks again, forum friends!

Meghan

You shouldn't have an issue, I have 1, 2, and 3 year old hens and I just have added some babies that have all their feathers. One of my orpingtons had a chick so that youngster is running around with 2-6 week old birds.I just put them out there and kept an eye on them, they learn who is mean and who is nice :)

Ok, thank you. The babies are keeping their distance from the 3 older ones. They stay at one end of the run, or in th coop. (before I couldn't get them in th coop! Haha). But when they do intermingle, there is some fussing going on. I just don't want my sweet RIR to get bullied by the older / bigger ones.

update: one of the 3 12 week olds is not letting the babies near the food and water. It doesn't seem to be a constant thing, but apparently she does it enough that when I go out there, all the babies huddle to the feeder while she comes to see me. So, I have a chick feeder and I put that out there, thinking she can't "man" both feeders at once...

Does anyone think there may be an age conflict or are they still sorting out the pecking order? I am just a bit worried about the size/age difference, but I am new and don't know if I should be or not.

Did the right thing with the second feeder. Might want to double on the water stations. As i write this its been two days or so. If there hasn't been any injuries by now it has worked out.

Den in Penn- thanks! I am going to add the extra water in there. They seem to be okay at times, but last I was out there all 3 older ones were cornering the youngins and running them off from feeders and the waterer. No injuries as of yet, just lots of bossing around and plucking at/chasing the babies.

I was def looking for a straight forward answer, thanks! If I messed up it's good to know so I can fix it! Haha im a newbie and need all the advice and redirection I can get! :)

Don't know how much space you have, but if you can put something in to break the lines of sight up it may help. Distractions to keep them entertained and not thinking of bullying. There's always the separation with a partition, until they get closer in size.

Back
Top Bottom