Introducing 2-3 chicks with one adult?

Kellita

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 17, 2012
Florida
I had 2 chickens and they were super close. One died a week.ago . Irma is 2 and pretty sweet and she is all alone .She was more passive .I know they are communal animals so I
want to buy some 2-3 month olds .Question: should I put them in the coop in a wire dog crate so she can get used to them? Irma free ranges all day but goes in the coop to.lay, eat and sleep .We live in central Florida so the weather is warm .I'm just worried she's missing her friend. What age is the best age to buy

I think getting new friends for Irma is a great idea! Chickens really are flock animals and seem a lot happier in a group, even if they occasionally pick on one another.

I have introduced new chickens several times to an established group. If you get new pullet or adult hens you will need to make sure they are quarantined for a while to be certain they will not pass any illnesses on to your original hen. Once you are sure the new birds are healthy, I would gradually introduce them by putting them in a separate pen where the hens can see and hear one another but not come into contact with each other. I usually give them a week or so of this then allow the new hens to be in the yard with the old hens and watch to see how they interact. I wait until young birds are near adult size so they can hold on their own in a scuffle.

Even the nicest hens, can be bullies to young new comers. Expect some pecking and yelping, a few feathers can be pulled out as the new pecking order is established. Be prepared to separate the birds again if things get out of hand or blood is drawn.

Back
Top Bottom