Introducing 2 Muscovies to existing Flock

katieducklady

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 13, 2014
I have 2 Muscovies that are probably 3 months old. My "old" flock consists of 3 Pekins, 1 Runner, 7 bantams (2 are roosters) and 1 full size hen. I've kept the Muscovies separate so far and the last 3 days I've put them in a separate cage/pen right next to my others. When the ducks have their supervised free range time, they checked out the Muscovies a few times. The runner seemed the most curious, she pecked in at them a few times but other than that there wasn't too much going on. When and how should I go about putting them in with the others? They are all in an enclosed pen but the ducks are allowed to free range while I'm out with them (we've had some curious coyotes around which stopped me from letting them free range all day. Luckily, no incidents but the close calls have me really scared).
Anyway, any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

I don't have much experience--but I have read that if you could run into trouble if you try to introduce drakes and they could hurt the smaller ducks when trying to breed.

Hmm... I'm pretty sure one of my Pekins is a drake because I've seen them mating in the pool and eggs seem to be fertilized...however, I'm really confused because 1) they all look the same (I don't see any tail feather curl?), 2) they all seem equally noisy (although it could just be that the 2 females are SO noisy I can't tell if one is more quiet!) and 3) I get 3 white eggs many days, not 2! (the runner lays green eggs). I'm confused!
Anyway, I'm not sure if the Muscovies are male are female yet? They are all about equal in size (the Pekins, Runner, and Muscovies) so at least I'm not concerned that anyone is smaller than the others.

Back
Top Bottom