Introducing 6 chicks to 3 birds that are 10 weeks older...

susanah

Songster
11 Years
Mar 23, 2009
We have them in the same run with a chicken wire separation right now. Chicks are
3 weeks old. Older birds are 13 weeks old. All are bantams. Of the older birds, 2 are
male, 1 female. All younger ones are female.
- Do you think it will be any harder or easier to mix groups since the older ones are mostly male?
- How long would you wait before putting them together?
- Do you think they will ever be one flock since they are only 10 weeks apart? Or will
they probably just coexist seperately. I was hoping the roos might help protect the
babies one day.
-Do roos get involved in pecking order? Or is that just a hen thing.

Thanks for any and all advice!

We have them in the same run with a chicken wire separation right now. Chicks are
3 weeks old. Older birds are 13 weeks old. All are bantams. Of the older birds, 2 are
male, 1 female. All younger ones are female.
- Do you think it will be any harder or easier to mix groups since the older ones are mostly male?
- How long would you wait before putting them together?
- Do you think they will ever be one flock since they are only 10 weeks apart? Or will
they probably just coexist seperately. I was hoping the roos might help protect the
babies one day.
-Do roos get involved in pecking order? Or is that just a hen thing.

Thanks for any and all advice!
Mine seem to get it all worked out and become one flock after about 30 to 60 days of jostling. I would probably be a little nervous combining the babies with the toddlers that far apart. I have found they can be pretty vicious. But if you can fix a small opening that is too small for the teenagers but big enough for the babies o run in, it may ease the introductions.
The roosters will help break up the cat fights between the hens.

Back
Top Bottom