introducing a chicken apron

pbjmaker

Crowing
11 Years
May 9, 2008
Central Iowa
We have a little frizzle cochin that had a totally naked back and shoulders so I bought her a chicken saddle/apron with shoulder protectors. She has been broody but there had been some nest "arguments" so I decided to put it on anyway.

Wellllllll it seems this is a new way to break a broody. Everyone is freaked out by the ugly banty with the new clothes. Two silkies have left their nests (immediately taken over by some braver hens) The little naked frizzle is running around the yard in a tizzy and even my humongous BCM rooster is terrified of her. Everyone runs when they see her coming. The darn thing is even camoflauge colored.

Has anyone else had their chickens reject a saddle? Do I just leave it on and let them calm down?

She really needs her back protected desperately and HATES being confined.

ARGH!!!

The very first time I put one on our EE hen, she began to freak out and WALK BACKWARDS! She was trying to get whatever that "thing" was off of her back! It was hysterical to see!
lol.png
However, after just a few minutes she realized that the "thing" wasn't coming off and just began eating the scratch that I threw down as a distraction.

I think if you leave it on her she'll calm down though.

They will get used to her and totally ignore her new clothes.
Mine did the same thing when I first put them on. If they weren't flapping all over they'd run and try to wipe the saddles/aprons off. Rooster wouldn't go near them until he saw that whatever was on them wasn't going after all the others.
I laughed until I couldn't catch my breath!

They do it all over again when I take the saddles/aprons off to wash them and then go to put them back on!!

She managed to get it off so then just for the fun of it I just dangled in the coop and they all sqwuaked at me. It is super humid here today and the apron is a double layer of canvas so I'm gonna let it go until dark and then try putting it back on. Even though I got a small banty size - I think it's a little bit big so she can slip out of it.

Back
Top Bottom