Introducing a lone quail to an exisiting group.

Zombie24

In the Brooder
Jul 25, 2020
Hello. I have a group of three quails aged between 8 and 5 months old, one male and two females. They are all unrelated and were grouped together when they became old enough to sex.

I've been very unlucky with my hatches, I have for the third time now only had one chick hatch. (Eggs were shipped and most died during incubation at different stages of development). I've found out she's a hen, she's about 10 weeks old now. I really want her to mix with the others. I've tried putting her in a wire cage inside the aviary but one other hen is just desperate to get to her and attack her and it makes the new one really stressed.

Is there something else I can try? I just watched a video about spraying diluted white vinegar on all of them and they won't be able to tell she's new, I want to try this but I don't feel too helpful.

Thank you for any help.

smol.jpg

Her name is Gizmo. 💛

Try taking all of the birds out of their current pen, rearranging it, then put her in first followed by the rest. They are often too busy sorting out their new surroundings to pay much attention to the newcomer.

If you have an aggressive one, give that one a time out. Separate her from the rest for a day or so then put her back in.
Thank you, I will give this a go. Both original hens were acting aggressive towards her but one was way more persistent.

I used the vinegar method when mixing 4 birds with 2 new ones. I also moved them all to a new coop, and made sure there were hiding places.

All went went. They did chase eachother A bit here and there at first, but no one got hurt.

Not sure how much of a difference the vinegar made, but I felt like I was doing something, so...placebo?

I used the vinegar method when mixing 4 birds with 2 new ones. I also moved them all to a new coop, and made sure there were hiding places.

All went went. They did chase eachother A bit here and there at first, but no one got hurt.

Not sure how much of a difference the vinegar made, but I felt like I was doing something, so...placebo?
Thank you for the response, yeah I'm not too hopeful that it will make any difference but I have some white vinegar on hand so I'm going to try it.
They're so small and sweet looking but they can be so nasty to each other! I've only kept chickens before and they were nowhere near this bad.

Hello. I have a group of three quails aged between 8 and 5 months old, one male and two females. They are all unrelated and were grouped together when they became old enough to sex.

I've been very unlucky with my hatches, I have for the third time now only had one chick hatch. (Eggs were shipped and most died during incubation at different stages of development). I've found out she's a hen, she's about 10 weeks old now. I really want her to mix with the others. I've tried putting her in a wire cage inside the aviary but one other hen is just desperate to get to her and attack her and it makes the new one really stressed.

Is there something else I can try? I just watched a video about spraying diluted white vinegar on all of them and they won't be able to tell she's new, I want to try this but I don't feel too helpful.

Thank you for any help.

View attachment 2458800

Her name is Gizmo. 💛

OKAY, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THAT PICTURE!!! :love

Back
Top Bottom