Introducing a new bird to the flock

thomascv

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 10, 2012
I have a flock of three birds that have been together peacefully for several months. Two of them are about 7-8 months old and one is over a year old. I have a friend who I recently discovered owns a young hen, about three months old, and has grown tired of her (ridiculous right?). I wanted to know if there were any special techniques for acclimation and if it including it in my flock is a wise choice. I don't think it's being fed a proper diet and I just want to give it a better life. It looks like some kind of americana cross. Currently my flock contains an olive-egger (Maran-araucana cross) A cinnamon queen and a California leghorn.

Small flocks often have the most difficult dynamics. Especially around point of lay age as they are quite hormonal and do not like change. I would either put her in a small crate in the coop for a week prior to introduction or put her in a crate with one of the other hens completely away from home to bond with her... Then introduce her and her "friend" back in the group.

Back
Top Bottom