Introducing a new chick with my other chicks?

PairOFWings

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 25, 2014
Central Coast, California
Hi there!

I am new to this forum and the world of chickens, but am loving this new adventure!

I picked up my 4 chicks on the 26th of April, so they are just over 2 weeks old. I have a feeling one of my wyandottes is a Roo... He has a really long neck, his body is often angled at 45 degrees when he's exploring, his tail feathers are longer than everyone else's and he is very curious / bold. Call it intuition, but I think I have a male on my hands. I can take some pics tomorrow morning if anyone is interested in seeing! I know it's too early to tell but I just have a feeling.

I really want to end up with 4 chickens and know how difficult it can be to integrate new grown chickens in with chicks later on.. and it would have to be 2 chicks, correct? So they arent alone while acclimating / brooding?

Anyways.. I have the option to go to the feed store in the morning and picking up another chick. I thought it might be easier to get one now as opposed to waiting a few months to see if I do indeed have a rooster. What do you think? Is it easier to integrate chicks as opposed to chicks with chickens? How should I go about it and what should I look out for?

I searched around and read as much on it as I could, but havent really come to a definitive answer. Your wisdom is much appreciated!

I would trust your gut. Most feed stores stop carrying chicks by the middle of May. If you wait, you might have trouble finding chicks anywhere close. Good chance that the store will have week old chicks. Just choose 2 out of that group than they are only one week apart in age and virtually the same size so putting them together is not an issue.

I would trust your gut. Most feed stores stop carrying chicks by the middle of May. If you wait, you might have trouble finding chicks anywhere close. Good chance that the store will have week old chicks. Just choose 2 out of that group than they are only one week apart in age and virtually the same size so putting them together is not an issue.

The feed store will be out of all chicks by about 11pm tomorrow morning.. they go extremely fast! I am hoping to grab up one blue laced red wyandotte and pop her in with the others in the brooder (and cross my fingers that she is a she!). They will be about 2 weeks difference in age.

Back
Top Bottom