Introducing a new duck to my flock

Galaxyfalcon

Songster
May 25, 2020
Eastern WA
Hello everyone!

We've got a small mixed flock of ducks with 2 drakes and 2 hens. We added the 2 boys to our 2 girls (it was supposed to be 1 boy and 2 girls, but...) last spring and so far they've been getting along really well. Our oldest duck (Momma duck) is a rescue. She's getting close to duck menopause and has been having egg-laying problems, but recently we found her sitting on a pair of what we believe to be her eggs. If these are in fact her eggs, we decided to go ahead and let her try having one last batch of ducklings since she's getting pretty old. Our plan is to keep one of the ducklings and the rest of the brood are going to my in-laws where they have a nice big pond with a few ducks already living there.

Our two boys have been pretty gentle with the girls. The ratio has concerned me, though. One of the boys is very gentle and doesn't mate too much, but the more aggressive Rouen mates more frequently and has started to increase the pace recently; we think Momma duck has been getting over-mated.

An acquaintance of ours was recently getting rid of some ducks (they were going to eat them) and we offered to take one of the girls off their hands. The idea is to bring on another female to help take some of the heat off the two girls, particularly momma duck just because she's getting so old.

I've read that it's a good idea to quarantine the ducks for a while, so I've currently got our new girl quarantined in the run in a place where she has water and food, and can see the rest of the flock but can't interact with them. I'm wondering how long we should keep them separated? I've seen recommendations of anywhere from "a few days" to a month.

The boys were immediately enamored with her and were clamoring over themselves and whacking their faces/feet against the barrier to try to get in and say "hello" to our new lady, so I need to do some medical check ups and make sure they didn't bang up their feet too hard (they're both a little limpy today).

Our new girl is also a little rough looking: I don't think she had any water to bathe in that was a swimming depth, so I've got her on the side of the run with the pool, but she hasn't bathed at all. She looks a little ratty. Any tips on helping her clean up? She's pretty skittish of people right now and squeeks while keeping as far away as possible when I try to approach her. I just want her feeling healthy and welcome. I also don't know what health issues to be looking for, e.g. what parasites or diseases she could potentially have that we should be paying attention to. I want to make sure our new girl is in a good condition while also protecting the rest of our flock. Any help would be appreciated!

by quarantine they mean completely separate and isolated from your ducks so they cant see each other for a few weeks (2-3) you don't want airborne diseases to spread. But now it is too late so, oh well.

Was she kept in disgusting conditions? Ducks are pretty hardy and if not kept in horrid conditions have very few health problems. If she’s never bathed mites could be a problem start with something small enough she can climb into to bathe then once use to it go up till she is getting into the pool. And main thing your going to have to watch for is the boys gang raping especially in the pool where they could drown her. My Muscovy about 5 lb was bathing in the plastic dish pan I put out for them to drink out of. If they can get in they will. What breed is your new duck?

Hi Miss Lydia, thanks for a reply! The conditions weren't disgusting but they definitely weren't how I would have done things. These ducks weren't pet ducks and I think they were raising them to eat them eventually. The conditions were mostly dry. They had water and occasionally I think they had bathing water but I don't think they had anything where their feet couldn't touch the bottom.

Right now Petals (she didn't have a name so we're going with Petals now) has access to a 50 gallon tub if she wants, and a smaller 5 gallon container that sits low to the ground in case she wants to get in, but she's mostly been drinking out of it. Our other girls really like to get in these short ones and splash around so I'm hoping Petals sees the girls outside taking a bath and gets a similar idea.

When we introduce her physically to the rest of the flock, I was considering introducing her the more gentle boy first since he's usually very sweet. He's been spending more time than anyone else sitting in the run within eyeshot of her and chatting so they seem to be getting along well.

She looks like a bit of a hybrid, I think she has some runner in her and possibly some saxony or buff, but it's definitely that coloring yet she's more gracile/stands a bit more like a runner. I'll see if I can get some photos today after work to share.

edit: Petals isn't used to duck treats so I've been leaving some peas and meal worms for her but she's mostly ignored them for now, I don't think she knows that they're food so I'm trying to spoil her and get her warmed up to her new home.

edit2: Photos of Petals

Attachments

• 20210402_182620.jpg
    20210402_182620.jpg
    438.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210402_170422.jpg
    20210402_170422.jpg
    461.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom