Introducing a new hen to the flock....

TheMlazgars

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 14, 2013
Nanaimo, BC , CANADA
Hello Backyard Chicken Family,

Recently one of our neighbours dogs got one of our chickens, so we had to purcase another one. She just arrived yesterday and r other girls are not taking it very well. won't let her near the food or water. I have heard this is normal behavior bu i help the transitition? We did purchase some stop pick liquid and put it on her wings! Any other suggestions??

Offer more than one eating and drinking place. They see a new chicken as lowest on the pecking order and may prevent her from eating and drinking. They may never totally accept her. Hopefully she will get some gumption and rise herself up the order.

Hope that helps
Caroline

Hello Backyard Chicken Family,

Recently one of our neighbours dogs got one of our chickens, so we had to purcase another one. She just arrived yesterday and r other girls are not taking it very well. won't let her near the food or water. I have heard this is normal behavior bu i help the transitition? We did purchase some stop pick liquid and put it on her wings! Any other suggestions??
It sounds like they are generally getting along (not pecking or hurting the new chicken) so this is very good and you're fortunate as this is not always the way and integration goes. There are a bunch of threads on ways to do an integration of new chicken(s) into an existing flock. Just search here at BYC on "integration" and a bunch will pop up with excellent advice. Many suggest putting out an additional food and water so the newer chickens can eat and drink. I keep 2 food and waters out all the time, one inside the coop and one in another covered area of the barn. I have at least 1 pullet who is just so low in the pecking order that if I didn't do this, she'd probably never get any feed and would have to live off of what she can free range.

Hope this helps,
Guppy

Back
Top Bottom