1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Introducing a second flock (bantam) with first standard both have roos

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by elieugene6, Sep 18, 2010.

1. elieugene6

elieugene6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Western ny
    I would love to be able to leave them out together, but will keep separate if need be. The few times they have come in contact the bantam Cochin roo attacked the standard. He will also jump at any standard hen that comes his way. They are both around 5-6 months. From what I have seen so far they have no interest in mating with each others ladies. The bantam pullets have wandered with the standard roo and hens/pullets without a problem or any interest in mating. They are caged where the others can see and have had some supervised contact. Spurs are almost nonexistent on each of them so if they go at each other I have no qualms about stepping in. They have twice and each time it was the Cochin that went after my golden comet roo and golden comet was just defending. Is it possible or am is it never going to happen? Is there anyone who has managed to do this?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    They'll most likely continue to fight and eventually both roos will go after the other's ladies.

3. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    I have a flock of 23 mixed pullets and 1 EE roo who are a year and a half old. The roo has had these ladies all to himself until recently. In May I got 21 day old BCMs and kept them in a different coop. The first flock has been free ranging for about a year. Once the BCMs got big enough to fend for themselves (about 15 wks old) I let them out to freerange also. It turns out I have 8 cockerals among this group. They pretty much stayed in their own groups until the past few weeks when one of the BCM cockerals (the largest one I might add) started to fight with the EE roo. Nothing big, just bumping chests etc. For the past 2 weeks, the BCM cockeral shared the mixed flock with the EE roo in the same coop. Their are 2 ladder type roosts in the coop and each has his own with his own ladies. I guess the EE had too many girls to take care of by himself, so now they cohabitat and share nicely. It seems to work out for them. The BCM totally ignores the flock he was raised with. So unless they are going to kill each other, let them squabble and see how it goes. JMO

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  4. elieugene6

elieugene6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Western ny
    Well the standards are free range all day long and when they come back to roost at night they are in a coop that was originally made to house around a hundred chickens. So they do have lots of room. I only have 17 chickens all together. The roo grow out pen is seperate so I am trying to integrate a flock of 3 bantams and a flock of 9 standard w/2 10 wk old standard jersey giants who are outcasts at the moment. Also are Cochin able to fly far? I don't even see these 2 hop 2 feet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by