Introducing a single hen and young chicks

We, my granddaughters went down, stood very quietly and heard a little tiny peep. The hen is gurgling to them. Hoping by tomorrow, they will be out. So hard to wait!

Mrs K

Good luck with yours, I hope it all goes well! It is hard to be patient when you're hearing all these exciting little noises. I wish it was ok to pick her up, have a quick look and put her down!:hmm:D

Yayyyy!!!! She's sticking with them :celebrate congrats on your new little featherballs:love please post baby pics when you can get some good shots!

4 Splash Orpingtons, 2 Vendas, and 3 Boschvelders. Since the photo another Venda has joined the family and one more Orpington egg is beginning to pip. (Posted about that little panic on the hatching forum)View attachment 1155505 View attachment 1155505 View attachment 1155505 View attachment 1155505 View attachment 1155505 View attachment 1155505

View attachment 1155505

4 Splash Orpingtons, 2 Vendas, and 3 Boschvelders. Since the photo another Venda has joined the family and one more Orpington egg is beginning to pip. (Posted about that little panic on the hatching forum)View attachment 1155505 View attachment 1155505 View attachment 1155505 View attachment 1155505 View attachment 1155505 View attachment 1155505

View attachment 1155505

View attachment 1155505

No idea where the photo went?? And it was only one photo?? It's been a long day... I'll try and post pics again tomorrow:rolleyes:

I got one chick so far. There was another egg, but pipped length wise, and it had been kicked out of the nest, and was cold. The other hen is still setting on 5 eggs.

I really don't need a lot of chicks, a couple would just be sweet.

I got one chick so far. There was another egg, but pipped length wise, and it had been kicked out of the nest, and was cold. The other hen is still setting on 5 eggs.

That seems so sad when the chick has made it through it's 21 days of development only for something to go wrong right at the end. Hope everything goes well with the five!

Handling Broodies Story:
One thing I did when I let a broody set was make sure I could handle her and the nest.
She had not been handled or hand fed at all before, but after that first screaming and biting match when I gently reached under her, she calmed down more and more and let me inspect things. I would do that every couple days with very little fuss from her, just a quick lift of her to peek under and a few touches to her face, neck, head, back, maybe a few pieces of scratch grain or BOSS.
Good thing too, as one of her chicks got it's neck tangled in her breast feathers, I had to cut her feathers to release the chick, and she let me with no fuss. Chick had a 'feather boa' pretty tight around it's neck that also had to be cut off, don't think that chick would have gotten loose without intervention.

Hope you get a few more!

That seems so sad when the chick has made it through it's 21 days of development only for something to go wrong right at the end. Hope everything goes well with the five!

I agree! I was quite saddened when I found a dead chick that had fully hatched, but had been kicked out. (I think my broody killed it... she was a bit homicidal at first! Thankfully she got the hang of things and proved to be a great mom.)

Back
Top Bottom