Introducing a submissive rooster

DianaG

Chirping
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
I just got a rooster (10weeks old) who is 2 weeks younger (and smaller) than my 6 hens. I do not have any other roosters. He seems to be very submissive, the hens peck him, chase him away from the food, chase him from any shelter in the yard. I finally took pity on him, and put him in an old rabbit cage at night (they are free to roam the yard during the day).

I am not sure how to aclimate him and the hens to him being there. Most articles talk about roosters fighting - mine runs! Help!

Hi, had to do same myself and recieved good advise from other BYCers. They were right! It takes about a month of the old seeing the new to accept to any degree. The rabbit cage is a good idea as long as it is close to the flock to see him or if he is out in the day to range they will soon give him the OK. There will still be the normal pecking order issues but not as major as first time face to face incounters. Hens are generally less accepting than roos and may take a little longer. I'm into the 6th week of introduction and the roo's are fine but some of the older hens still huff and puff a little. At least they all sleep in the same hen house now.
D.gif

Jean

I'd give him a couple weeks and try again with him. I try to wait until my guys are around 12-14 weeks before integrating with the rest of the flock. He's still pretty little and immature to hold his own - especially if he's the ONLY one that size/age you are introducing.

Thanks for your advice! I did give it a week or so, and he started slowly being more brave! I finally have him sleeping with the hens, and today he actually stood up for himself!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom