Introducing adult birds...

bobchristenson

Songster
8 Years
May 31, 2011
SE Michigan
Well, I suppose I"ve been initiated. I just lost 3 of my first 4 laying hens to a neighborhood dog. I'm mostly sad for the remaining hen who is currnetly roosted in the coop alone. She's a birdbrained flake who always stayed very near the leader of the flock so I feel the need to get her some compainions very soon.

I may be able to get some local adult layers as soon as tomorrow. My question is if I need to do anything special to introduce my current bird to 3 or 4 new ones.

She's already used to being at the bottom of the pecking order (which I assume is a benefit in this case) but she'll also be the only one who's grown up in this coop/run. Can I just introduce them straight away, put them all together and let them work it out? Or do I need some transition time?

If I transitioned them, I'd be forced to give the new birds the coop while caging/segregating the existing bird (due to space).

Thoughts?

I favor a slow introduction. With one hen that has home field advantage, a slow intro with her in the cage, that takes that away from her making it much tougher. I think I'd cross my fingers hope for the best and just put them together.

how old are the new ones you are getting ?? if they are the same age they should be fine since there is only want that would fight and if shes the only one i doubt she'll fight with them

Well, it turns out I may just get one 'pal' for my remaining hen until spring, which changes things. It looks like her pal will be a 2.5 year old hen (ours was only born in the spring).

Should I plan on the new (older) hen being the boss and just let them work things out? There will only be 2 of them all winter, from the looks of it.

(I'm not planning on eggs from the new hen, just getting her as a companion until we can get new chicks in the spring) Thoughts?

Well, it turns out I may just get one 'pal' for my remaining hen until spring, which changes things. It looks like her pal will be a 2.5 year old hen (ours was only born in the spring).

Should I plan on the new (older) hen being the boss and just let them work things out? There will only be 2 of them all winter, from the looks of it.

(I'm not planning on eggs from the new hen, just getting her as a companion until we can get new chicks in the spring) Thoughts?
well its better to have more hens but it depends on where you live i live in canada so its cold in winter so more hens are better they will keep each other warm .. and plus with your new hen she is older so she might need a little more warmth but idk

Back
Top Bottom