Introducing adult female to 8 week old group

fatedfaithfulfatal

In the Brooder
May 1, 2023
Now that I’m fairly certain of the sex of my khaki babies, I’m going to need to get another girl and re-home one of my males. Since my flock is basically full size now, and the adult would be a newcomer who’s just been separated from her flock, I wouldn’t think I’d have to worry about her bullying my babies, but I’m new to all this.

Can some more experienced duck parents here let me know what, if anything, I need to do make the integration go smoothly. My current flock is khaki campbells and the newbie would be the same or a similar sized such as a Rouen.

Those KC babies may be the ones to do the picking since your bring in one they won't see as part of their flock. Best thing to do is set up and area where they can all meet and greet the newcomer but she is protected. You can use a dog crate at night in the coop to keep her in so she is with the flock. It may not take long to get the intro over with maybe a week or more. Once they have been living like this then start trying to let them be together toss some treats on the ground so they are more interested in filling their tummies than picking on the new girl.

Back
Top Bottom