Introducing, as requested!

Eggscaping

Enjoying Life!
Dec 4, 2018
Lakeside, Oregon
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Well, we don't have them yet, but are planning to get some when we move next year! Thus we are here, to learn from the wisdom of those who are already owned by some chickens, as we've had several other types of critters - including one duckling with a splayed-out leg which we rescued from a feed store, taped his legs together to straighten them out, and then finally gave him to a farm when he could walk normally. But no chickens. Yet.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
We have a flock of about a dozen...in our imagination! This will be updated as soon as we sell our house (in about a year) and move.

(3) What breeds do you have?
We anticipate having some mixed egg/meat chickens, and are still perusing the various breeds. Maybe Legbar or Silver Laced English Orpington. Maybe Rhode Island Reds. We plan on a mixed flock.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
It will be fresh, healthy eggs along with learning the ins and outs and watching and interacting with the birds. And maybe some yummy fried chicken eventually.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Pesticide-free gardening, reading, online computer gaming, fishing, feeding birds, cuddling my cat, our dogs, and my fish tanks. Not cuddling the fish tanks though - that would be weird. I just watch them!

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I live with my best friend of 32 years, 2 dogs (pug/rat terrier and chihuahua/Papillion, and our 2 cats, both blue point Siamese. I'm 71 and retired from ten years at the American Red Cross after sixteen years as a machinist. No other human family, just us two ladies.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I was randomly googling "keeping chickens" and found the website. After reading some of the really interesting and informative articles I thought I should join and not just lurk in the shadows. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. Thanks for having me!

Hi and welcome to BYC. I wish you the best of luck with moving and to chicken life.

On this link you'll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping birds - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archives

This is a useful link of BYC guides to take a look at announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3 I’d suggest including your location using the guide in that link. You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

smiley welcome 5.gif

It's nice to have you here, thanks for joining us! Make yourself at home and always feel free to ask questions.

Back
Top Bottom