Introducing baby chick to brooding hen.

Jason lad0n

In the Brooder
Jul 25, 2021
We just got a few chicks two days ago and I've bee trying to get my Hens to take to them. So far, one of the hens wants one of them but dosen't like the other two chicks. My hen has been trying to sit on the chick, but these chicks are like 5-6 days old and they want to play. I'm also kind of worried because she pecked at the other two so I don't know if the one she likes would be safe. I have two other hens that seem interested in one, but I don't know for sure. I've been introducing the hens to the chicks by replacing the eggs their sitting on with the chicks. I've also been supervising all of it so if one of my hens didn't take to the chick, I could intervene. I don't know what exactly to do with my hens and the chicks. This is our second getting chicks, so I've never had to introduce chicks to hens.

We just got a few chicks two days ago and I've bee trying to get my Hens to take to them. So far, one of the hens wants one of them but dosen't like the other two chicks. My hen has been trying to sit on the chick, but these chicks are like 5-6 days old and they want to play. I'm also kind of worried because she pecked at the other two so I don't know if the one she likes would be safe. I have two other hens that seem interested in one, but I don't know for sure. I've been introducing the hens to the chicks by replacing the eggs their sitting on with the chicks. I've also been supervising all of it so if one of my hens didn't take to the chick, I could intervene. I don't know what exactly to do with my hens and the chicks. This is our second getting chicks, so I've never had to introduce chicks to hens.
I've also been keeping the chicks in the coop with the hens but in a separate dog carrier so they can adjust to each other.

Are your hens first time mamas? I don’t think I would give live babies to a hen that has never had babies. Way too risky.
Yes they are first time moms. I haven't given them any chicks because I am pretty nervous they may attack them. I just didn't know if it was a good idea or if I should wait to fully introduce them when they are a bit older.

Back
Top Bottom