introducing bugs to chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ladybuglives, May 12, 2010.

1. ladybuglives

ladybuglives Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    humboldt county
    Last night I put some sprigs of kale in with my 3 week old chicks. The sprigs were covered with aphids. They LOVED them! Is this okay at this age and how much can I give them. A lot of info says to give them chopped hard boiled egg, insects, worms but nothing says how much of this. I feed them Purina Flock Raiser and throw grit ontop. How much of the extras can I give to my six girls???? Thanks...

2. Miss Red

Miss Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    I give my chicks bugs as soon as they eat them. Mama hens don't wait to give them bugs, they find one and they're clucking up a storm to get the chicks to come over. IMO there is no proper age, just when they want to eat them.

3. WillnGina

WillnGina Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2010
    Tampa Area
    From what I've read supplemental feeding shouldn't be more than 10% of their overall diet. Of course that's hard to gauge, I just give mine a little snacky every other day or so when it comes to eggs or yogurt and I throw them bugs pretty much whenever I see the opportunity. Just make sure they have some access to some gritty soil or grit to help them digest. [​IMG]

4. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    I give mine treats twice a day. The veggies and bugs are what they would normally eat anyway so it is not a problem but I do like to make sure they eat some of their starter crumbles since it has some essential nutrients in it they need. I don't see any problem with what you're doing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by