Introducing chickens to each other.

5lovelyhens

Chirping
Mar 29, 2015
I'm not sure where exactly to post this, but I need to introduce my chickens to each other. I have 4 that I got 2 years ago, and they have lived in the same coop their whole life. Then I bought 2 more 1 year ago, and they've lived together their whole life. Both of the coops are right next to each other, so they've been able to see each other. Everytime I try to introduce them, 1 of the younger ones is fine. She's a barred rock, and she is used to being last in the pecking order so she doesn't fight for a higher position. But my golden laced Wyandotte is at the top, so she fights with the other 4 to stay on top. Is there any way to introduce them in a better way? I don't know what to do

It's normal chicken social order behavior. As long as none are being seriously injured let them work things out.

I just tried again, and when I put the barred rock in, the older ones would go up to her and test her, but she just walked away and didn't engage. Then would I put the Wyandotte in, she fluffed up and had a stare down with my ameraucana, and then the ameraucana attacked, so she kinda backed up and fluffed up again, and then my RIR went up to her so my Wyandotte attacked her and then they were jumping in each other and fighting, so I broke it up. I don't want to risk them getting hurt though

It is best to let them mingle in an area where neither flock has claimed as their territory. Sometimes putting up a joint fenced area and letting them range together can allow the flocks to merge, also free ranging together can help if that's an option. You will have a harder time making one group switch coops, hopefully you coop is large and roomy.

How big of an area are you trying to put them all in? Is there a reason you are trying to combine them if it has worked with two flocks and two coops?

Back
Top Bottom