1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

introducing chickens to existing small duck flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TLWR, Jan 20, 2013.

1. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    We have 5 female ducks - 2 that are 2.5 years old and 3 that are 9 months old.

We'd like to add a few chickens. I think I'd prefer adult or at least older chicks.
    Ideally, we house them together at night as the duck house was built with the idea of a few chickens in mind. But we also have a separate duck house (dog house kit from Lowe's) that we can use if necessary.

Still in planning stages - figuring out what breed(s) we want to add.

It took a while to get the new ducklings mixed with the 2 older ducks - long slow process.
    What should we do to introduce and mix chickens with the ducks - best to do them all at once or what happens if we find a chicken at a time?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I would suggest adding them all at once for at least two reasons. First is the issue of health. Every time that a new bird is added to a flock, there is the possibility of introducing disease. Second is disruption of the pecking order. Better to let them work it out one time rather than causing disruptions with the addition of each hen. Good luck at whatever you decide to do.

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I agree that it would be best to intro all at once. Acquiring 1 chicken at a time is just asking for trouble/disease. Your ducks may not appreciate their new companions. Keep in mind that while ducks can pull feathers, chickens can peck. They need to be introduced slowly and it will be best if you have a plan in place in case there is trouble.

4. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Figured as much about doing all at once instead of 1 at a time.

Which leads to another question....

if I can't find the 3 breeds/chickens I want from one source - how would I go about that? I have a list of 10 breeds next to me. Some I think are quite common, some I'm not so sure. I'll (we'll) narrow it down to 2-3 or maybe we'll decide on just one breed, but I'm guessing not.
    (cochin, brahma, ameraucana, orpington, wyandotte, sebright, barred plymouth rock, faverolles, belgian bearded d'uccle bantam, australorp)
    Ok to mix bantam and standard?

I want very friendly and pretty and a few eggs. DH likes feathery feet/legs

I've yet to start searching to see what people locally have available, though there is a feed store near by that has a huge selection of birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by