Introducing chicks and reintroducing broody hen

Jemdeenie

In the Brooder
Jan 22, 2021
I have a Cochin who is on day 14 of sitting on eggs. She is my first broody hen. I don't know how the hatch will go and her mothering will go, but I'm trying to wrap my head around the best way reintroduce her to my mixed flock of 6 hens and 1 rooster assuming all goes well. Right now, I have her in brooding pen separated from the flock. Some options I am mulling over are: 1. Keeping her and chicks separate and reintroducing her when she is done mothering and introducing pullets to flock when mature and keeping any cockerels separate. 2. Moving mom and chicks into a brooder inside our chicken yard to ease the transition and reintroducing her with her chicks at some point while she is still caring for them? What are your thoughts? Is there an ideal age for introductions? Is there a good chance of the rooster accepting them? Should I separate him out?

Any time I've had a hen give me surprise chicks, the roosters have all been super good with them. Do what you are most comfortable with--there really is no "right" way, just do what you feel is best for her and your flock!

Any time I've had a hen give me surprise chicks, the roosters have all been super good with them. Do what you are most comfortable with--there really is no "right" way, just do what you feel is best for her and your flock!
Thank you for sharing your experience. May I ask if your broody hens nested in the coop with the rest of the flock? And were they high or low ranking hens? I have a feeling you're right about there being no right way.

Yes, I've had them hatch out with the flock and occasionally where they weren't supposed to (like the hay loft). None of my broody hens were high on the peck order.

Back
Top Bottom