1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Introducing chicks to big girls!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FinaticHen, Mar 16, 2013.

1. FinaticHen

FinaticHen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2012
    Queensland, Australia
    I have two grown up laying white leghorns and I have two plymouth rock chicks that are about 11-12 weeks old. I am starting introductions but Crystal (the head of the pecking order) did her things but the poor chicks are frazzeled and scared and I am worried they are too small still! I've been thinking about putting the chicks small coop in the main coop. Should I wait a couple of weeks before I actually introduce the chickens to each other and have the chicks in the coop so the big girls can get used to having them sleep with them? What should I do! I am at a loss and I want it to be as less stressful for everyone.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Your idea with putting the youngsters in a small coop in with the older ones is a good one. It will give them all a chance to get used to each other and the older ones won't be able to bully the youngsters this way. Once the youngsters are more or less the same size as the older hens you can reintroduce them again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by