introducing chicks to broody hen?

funkychickenowner

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 30, 2008
Sussex County NJ
I have a hen that is broody and sitting for about 4-5 days now I just received an order of day old chicks 15 left now 1 week ago what if I was to introduce her to these new chicks and not let her hatch her own eggs would she take over as mama This is her first time broody (mine too) she is 13 months old Im just curious I want her to have her own chicks but if they dont pan out is this an option? As of now the new chicks are doing great really dont need a mama but wondering if this would work.

But if the chicks have already imprinted on you as food/water/shelter provider, they will not recognize her as mama. Might not work. Be prepared to move them back to the brooder and let her hatch her own.

Mrs. Puff, this is exactly what I was thinking. Not about mom to them but them to mom, However I dont know they are imprinted so to speak on me as they run from me when I reach into tub but they sure do associate me with food and water. so I dont know I would much rather have her hatch her own though, as she's hangin on her clutch full time now so probably I will let the new chicks take care of themselves and let her eggs and her do there thing. and it should not be too much trouble to integrate them all in 3-4 months.

i waited for my chicks to get about 5 weeks old and then put them out with the big hens and they all get along fine!!!! They did chase them a little bit but all is well now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was able to pawn off 12 chicks on my hen, Esther. IMHO- This worked because Esther brooded for the full 3 weeks & hatched out 3 of her own AND I slipped in the hatchery chicks the next day. My day-olds went in with hers. She cannot count, so she didn't know how many she had(!)
wink.png

I do not think that a hen, broody for a few days, will accept week olds as her own.
idunno.gif

I tried this with my broody banty and put my three week olds out with her (I had to wait that long because of the cool weather). Good thing I separated them with a baby gate cause all the banty wants to do is peck them. I'm leaving them there and hope they'll get used to each other. Pretty soon they'll be big enough to hold their own and I'll drop the iron curtain. The good news is that she's no longer broody but laying every day again.

Back
Top Bottom