Introducing chicks to broody hen

shirauo

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
So we just got some day-old chicks to slip under our broody Buff Orpington for the FIRST TIME. She'd been sitting on eggs for 21 days, so we figured it was time.
smile.png

After reading some threads on here, it sounded like we could introduce them while it was still light (so we could see) instead of waiting til she was asleep. She pecked our hands (ouch!) and the baby chicks at first. That was so nerve-wracking! After slipping them back under her 2-3 times, she finally settled down and we started hearing purr-like cheaping from the babies... am taking that as a good sign?

After a few minutes, I saw her check under herself and the babies started peeping again, but I think/hope she was just adjusting.

Some questions:
1. So are we in the clear? I figured I'd check on them in the morning-- do I need to check throughout the night? It seems like a flashlight would bother her (and whenever we shone a flashlight in as we were trying to place them under her, she would peck at them... so I'm worried about shining a flashlight in there to check on them during the night)

2. They are confined in a makeshift brooder pen lined with wood shavings, but I hear that mama usually likes to take them out & about to teach them to scratch & peck-- do I need to lift them all out to do that?

3. Our other hens were hand-raised by us with lots of hugs & loving from the kids. Will our broody Mama let us pick them up & bond with them or are these going to be our "wild" chickens?

I'd love to hear any thoughts/ideas or feedback.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom