Introducing chicks to chickens. I am just overreacting, right?

LOL! Out of curiosity what breed(s)? Over the years I've stopped getting breeds that I've had to hard of time with even though if I say RIR's are mean, many people will tell me they've had nothing but nice ones. I get that so it's just my own personal science at work. I've always been successful but I do totally get what you're saying as some my flocks would prefer to not roost together ever, with the option to roost separately that I do give them like you do. It's just that after a year when I need to start a new group, I need them to move out of the small coop so I don't give them a choice anymore. It's never easy and I play chicken jenga sometimes at roost time moving them around but ultimately since I'm not going to do that every single night they just have to figure it out.
My worst old hen is a RIR too just so you know. I named her after my Mom who passed but may have to Rename some "not so nice name" like Cruella or something! I did stand out in run and think her on head with hollow broom handle while squawking at her. She's just afraid of the handle it didn't stop her. Feed and roost times are the worst. I feed them in 11 different places now with wet feed cause she can't be everywhere. ! :wee

What? Are they on vacation?
How long have they been gone?
This will be another integration conundrum added to the mix.
How big is your coop and run?
Dimensions and pics would help immensely here.
I will get pictures. The rooster and hens are at my county fair this week. They will be back Sunday. Should I just wait to add the chicks until all the chickens are at home?

Here is the coop and run. I don't know the size of the coop or run, sorry. 20220805_125636.jpg 20220805_125651.jpg 20220805_125654.jpg

Logs/stumps should be great. Looks like you have a tree in one corner, that provides a bit of a break as well. Tubs, it depends - are they opaque? If you don't mind ruining them (well, as working tubs) you could cut 2-3 openings at the bottom of each one so chicks can dart in and out if they need to.

You don't do quarantine after they've been off the property?

Really hard to say what will happen when the other chickens return, as you're looking at a possible 3 way integration at that point.
I didn't know I would have to quarantine them. I will be adding some logs or stumps and maybe a tub. The tubs are 2 or 3 feet wide. I can probably cut some openings in them for the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom