Introducing DaintyBess's Confessions of a Chicken Friend

DaintyBess

In the Brooder
Oct 26, 2020
Hi all! I am Dainty Bess!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I was given chicks as a housewarming gift when we moved to our farm six years ago. I had never had chickens before, and didn't even like birds in general, but now I am obsessed. I especially love roosters and have begun fostering and socializing them. The other farmers out here call me a rooster whisperer.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I have two roosters and sixteen hens. In my wildest dreams I have so many more chickens, but really there is only so much of me to go around. I don't think hoarding would be fun.

(3) What breeds do you have?
Ameracaunus, Red Star, Ayam Cemani, Barred Rock, Blue Laced Wyandotte, and Golden Laced Wyandotte.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I love their personalities and how affectionate they can be. I love earning their trust and watching them be chickens.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I make videos... often about chickens.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
My parents live with my husband and I. We have a farm dog and a chihuahua. We also have three barn cats, turned house cat.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I've been following BYC for advice for several years. I'm finally joining, because I have a weird question. :0

Welcome rooster whisperer!
PIXELCHICK.gif

-BYC-sign-flash.gif

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
I'm a big fan of roosters too. Care to share some pictures?
Sure. Here's a video of one of my fosters getting his first bath. We were working on socializing him, but he had mites. He was a biter, and he bit me for the last time right before we gave him his bath. We bonded during his bath and and blowdry. He followed me around the house everywhere until his new mom came to get him a few days later.

I have one of his brothers in my flock and an Ameracauna rooster too. I got them to replace my Ayam Cemani roosters, who I lost last year.

What kind of roosters do you have?

Back
Top Bottom