introducing dog to chicks

wildflower

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
I have 18, month old chicks, our Ausie shepard mix has been interested and sweet (nuzzling and licking with supervision) a few days ago, one of the babies flew over and I discovered Azul the dog had her in his mouth. The chick was screaming and dog was wagging happily. Only a little bruise on the chick and a bruise on the dog's ego as I kicked his butt out of the coop. We have since built the outer part of the fenced yard and Azul is so interested, I would love to have him co-mingle, can I safely have them together? I do intend to let the girls out in the yard eventually. Got any tips to help? The dog is gentle and sweet and is horrified when he has done wrong. Thanks!

Last edited:
I think it depends on your dog.. She sounds placid enough, and maybe she was just "retrieving"the chick... Our dog LOVES baby chickens, and will follow them around all day listening to them cheep.. She does get excited if they move quickly though. Once we told her off several times for getting too close, she knows the boundaries and does not touch... With supervision and education all should eventually be ok... Good luck..
wink.png

I have an Aussie and she loves to work as I am sure yours does. When I got the chicks, I put them on the floor in front of her and she was interested and I kept close watch. I told her they were her new chicks. I have always let her go with me to "feed HER chickens" or check on Her chickens. She wants to be part of the work but she know her bound ies. Killian was obedience trained and was four when I got the chickens so she was not hyper at that point. I suspect your dog knew where the chicks belonged and was helping. I would allow Azul to help as much as possible, They want to work and are excellent with any job you give them. As long as Azul knows her boundries with the chickens she/he should be fine. Supervise and Reward. Maybe get a little bucket that you can put food in for Azul to carry when you do the feeding. There are lots of Easter Baskets and things in the stores right now that would be great for the dog to carry.

It is important for the chickens to know the dog too and not freak out when he is around. Dogs by nature will chase things that run. So if your chickens are used to the dog they are less likely to cause his natural instincts to kick in.
Good Luck

My dog is a black lab and she will be two in August. She is very curious about the chickens and would like to catch one! She has been going with me when I do my chicken chores and lately when they get out she tries herding them. So far she hasn't bit one or injured them in any way but I think I going keep her supervised when ever we are out.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom