Introducing Dog to Llamas

mylilchix

Songster
11 Years
Jun 11, 2008
Front Range, Colorado
Dolly and Cahrlotte are adjusting well to their new home. Our lab mix and tibetan terrier mix have adjuted to having llamas nearby, but our black lab viciously barks at them when he's near them. How can I get him to accept the llamas?

Thanks, Sonja

Have you tried good old-fashioned positive reinforcement, with lots and lots of treats for leaving the llama alone and not barking? It will take some time, but your dog will eventually figure out that eating treats and playing with you is much more fun than barking.
You may even want to invest in a couple of sessions with a good dog trainer if you don't feel up to it on your own - I know my friend Jill could have that problem cleared up in one or two sessions.
Good luck!

I raise Irish Setters and Llamas. When a new dog comes I will take one of the Llamas and the dog and introduce them on a one on one in a neutral area usually somewhere in the yard away from the other Llamas. They spend some time together and will get use to each other then slowly I take the dog with me to the barn and they will all get along. But there will be some spitting and noise from the Llamas and barking from the dog but it will soon stop.
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom