Introducing : Ginger and Mary Ann!

12thharmonic

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 18, 2008
Rhodes Australia
The chooks have landed!The previous owner's kids named them Blackie and Oragnie! Ginger and Mary Ann! That's the ticket!
We are pretty sure Mary Ann is an Australorp, and Ginger may be an Isa Brown?
The girls arrived in a cardboard box. The walked out of it straight into the Chook Wagon. When dusk came a bit of light inside the house drew them inside and they settled immediately. So far so good!
18759_gingermaryann1.jpg

18759_gingermaryann.jpg

18759_gingermaryann2.jpg

They are a similar colors to our bro and sis cats.
18759_machinechooks.jpg

18759_chicochooks.jpg

Chico and Machine check out the new family members.

very nice set up.
thumbsup.gif
cable ties and all. everytime i get a new chicken it spends the night in the barn in a cage and then the next morning i let it loose when i let all the others out to free range. sometimes they make it in the coop (even thou they haven't been in there) or they just head back to the cage. i will move them into the coop. it is amazing how they just know what to do, if not to at least head back to where they started. you have to beautiful girls there. good luck.

Quote:
Thanks for that tip. We already spoke of a third. Even before the first two came.
At the moment, they will have to stay in the Chook Wagon. The property next door is under construction, and the fence on that side is half gone. Once the fence is replaced, we will cordon off a nice run in the back half of the yard. I can see the benefit of introducing a new hen free range.
Am I picking up the lingo?
LMAO!

Nice chickens , are they the same as what we call Red Star and Black Stars here in the states? Or some people call them Red Sex links and Black Sex links. They look alot like our chickens.

Oh, I saw on the news Australia got snow! Did you get the snow? The news said it was a bit unusual for your country as it is about summer there?

MaryAnn is an Black Australorp, an Australian breed . Ginger we are not exactly sure yet. Could be Isa Brown . Our best guess.

No snow here. We did have a strange antarctic blast recntly that did cause some freak mountain snow falls. As climate change kicks in we see more of this. All that extra energy in the atmosphere. In summer, although hotter in general, and getting worse every year. These freakish extremes are more common and more dramatic. Mother Earth's constant quest for equalibrium.

Every climate model shows Australia gets hit first and worst.

After a wet-ish winter (La Ninia) I expect it to be a rough bush-fire season. I've been smelling controlled burns coming from the west.

It was a word association moment. Our two cats are similar colours. One Black and gray and the other a Big OLD Ginger Blob. I thought about ginger cat, ginger chicken. Then I heard the Gilligan's Island theme in my head and suggested it as a bit of a joke. On further thought, it worked. So is Mrs. Howell next?
wink.png

Ginger stays out late and MaryAnn is the sensible protective one. Funny that. Ginger even gives curtain calls on the way up to the house each night.
lau.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom