Introducing Goslings to Other Animals

Goose_Willis

Chirping
Jun 12, 2023
My goslings are 8 weeks old and basically fully feathered with the exception of a few errant tufts. A few weeks ago I moved them into their run since the nighttime temperatures were high enough for them to sleep outside, it's an aluminum frame covered in chicken wire with a dig guard and inside of the run they have a shelter that they could use if they ever deem it worthy.
When I was building the run before I got them, I planted some waterfowl appropriate herbs in the run and seeded it out with clovers and grass so that they could learn to forage safely while they were small. Now that they're 8 weeks they've just about demolished all semblance of plant life within the run and I want to let them out of it during the day. I have 10,000 square feet of fenced yard outside of their run and my Anatolian Shepherd and my working cat with her 8 week old kittens also live in the yard.
I wanted to get all of the animals used to seeing each other before I let them interact without the run fencing as a barrier and the geese want nothing to do with any of the other animals. I'm sure they can hold their own against the cat now because they're massive and she's not a very big cat and when I've tried to bring the dog into the run to introduce him to them they chased him and bit him.
I'm wondering what I should expect when I let the goslings out into the yard with the other animals. I'm always here with them so they'll be supervised but are they likely to just seek out and chase and mess with my other animals or will they mellow out a bit with so much space to roam around in? I know every animal is different to I can't really predict it but I was wondering what other people do when introducing their flock to other animals. The dog is young and still in training but he knows the 'leave it' command and has solid recall. I was hoping he would bond with the geese because he's already bonded with the kittens and he's obsessed with my ducklings and he would sleep next to the gosling's brooder when they were tiny but now they seem to want nothing to do with him.
Growing up we would put our ducklings and chicks with the livestock guard dogs and they would bond pretty quickly and then be friendly their whole lives but the geese seem more independent. They're african geese if that makes any sort of difference.

goslings/geese are usually bullies to anything other than their "flock" so expect them chasing and biting and terrorizing everything you own and love
So basically I should expect them to stir up trouble...🤣
I also have 4 week old ducklings that need to be introduced to the goslings, is there a way to do that where they'll accept the ducklings into their flock? I have the ducklings in my yard in a tiny mobile coop during the day that the goslings can see but can't get into and in like 1-2 weeks I was going to start putting them into the aforementioned run during the day while the goslings are in the yard and then separate them at night until the ducklings have all of their feathers and aren't so little.

At this point there isn't anything special to do with introducing the ducklings and geese. You can get a gosling and ducklings together and the gosling will bond with the ducklings and be a member of that flock but you said they are different ages and not hatched together. At this point it will be whatever it is going to be- either the 2 flocks will be ok or they will be territorial. Either way you should not have a major issue most of the time as long as they are all well fed. Depending on the gender of the birds you might have to make some housing changes during breeding season.

At this point there isn't anything special to do with introducing the ducklings and geese. You can get a gosling and ducklings together and the gosling will bond with the ducklings and be a member of that flock but you said they are different ages and not hatched together. At this point it will be whatever it is going to be- either the 2 flocks will be ok or they will be territorial. Either way you should not have a major issue most of the time as long as they are all well fed. Depending on the gender of the birds you might have to make some housing changes during breeding season.
Thank you. So what I've got going on with the ducks and geese currently is I have the run split into two sections with fencing that the birds can see through but can't get over or under. I let the geese out of the run to forage all day and pull the divider back to give the ducks free reign over the run while the geese are out in my yard. The ducks put themselves to bed around 5 or 6 and then I put the barrier back up and put the geese back into the run.
Before I had the fencing barrier, I had a door on the duck's house that they could get in and out of and I thought it was too small for the geese but they squeezed through it one day and everyone was screaming and cowering from each other (ducks and geese). Since putting up the barrier it seems like the ducks are feeling less afraid and the geese seem less aggressive so I'm hoping to start pulling back the barrier to let them investigate each other under supervision in a few weeks.
I've seen my gander go after the ducks and I have and female goose that is MEAN (she attacks the dog relentlessly unless I push her off and redirect her attention to her pool or something else interesting) so they're the two I'm most worried about. If they can't integrate within the run then I'll keep them separated at night. I'm hoping they'll at least be able to free range in the yard together since they'll have a ton of space.
The ducks seem like they're becoming less fearful as they get older so hopefully they'll be able to not panic around the geese as much.

Back
Top Bottom