Introducing grandma! (uodate)

Cheryl

Crowing
15 Years
Sep 2, 2007
Milford, New Hampshire
I went over to the neighbors house today and asked if they still wanted me to take their 9 year old white leghorn. She is a sweet thing...not until I put her out in the yard did I discover she had a tangled up mass of dried up poo on her bottom. Owner was rather embarrassed, but I told her it was OK I would bring her right in and take care of it. But we did leave her out to see how things would go...of course one of mine immediately pecked at her bottom... She has now had a bath, I had to also trim with scissors and has been blown dry. (Learned that all her at BYC ) She was very cooperative about the blow dryer, rather indignant about the bath! She is back outside, and has FLOWN out of the yard 3 times...my girls are very happy, she obviously wants to explore. Things are looking a bit better now, I check on her every 5 minutes and she seems to be staying in the yard now. Here are a couple of pictures. A couple of mine have tried to show her who is boss and have backed right down. Oh and she dropped an egg in the yard, I couldn't figure out what she was doing, so just sat there and watched...I'm glad it didn't break upon landing!

chickensetc088.jpg

chickensetc090.jpg

Last edited:
She is so pretty.
smile.png
Everyone says Leghorns are spastic, antisocial, etc., glad to see another sweet one. My Leghorn girls are nothing short of angelic. Sounds like Grandma is, too.
smile.png
She has a beautiful little face.
smile.png

She is very gentle, I stayed outside for several hours to make sure she didn't keep "flying the coop" and at one point she sat in my lap and took a nap! I would also like to add how nice it was to actually be able to sit out and get a little warm sun today! Now if only the rest of the snow would melt in my yard!

Grandma needs her name changed to "Pig Pen" she took a dirt bath with the rest of the girls. When she was done there was a black cloud surrounding her! She is earning her keep, 2 eggs in 3 days, I gave them and a few others to the family we got her from.

I think white leghorns live a long time. Our Whitey was 10 and still going strong...he got killed by a weasel. His sisters were doing well too; all gone now, though. We still have Whitey's son...he makes us laugh all the time. White leghorns have a different personality, that's all...but I think they are funny, hardy, and good layers.

Back
Top Bottom