Introducing guinea keets (teens) into the rest of the guinea flock

Janinedk

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2022
Help please!
I think it is time to integrate our baby guineas! They are 13 weeks old and quite large now! They have done very well and we put a run off the back so they could be "outside" with the other adult guineas. Close to them but not actually with them. Quite often the adults would lay in the shade next them.
My concern is how do I introduce them in together? Just take down the chicken wire fencing inside the coop(a coop inside the coop so they would always be together with the hope of them adjusting easier) and let them all just be in there together with no separation? I really can't think of another way? They need to be in a group for protection by the mama so I'm guessing it's just that easy and we hope everyone gets along?

I need to mention that the outside adults consist of 3 males and 4 females. The baby pen has 1 mama adult, 1 male and 4 females. That I am basing on the sounds and the fact that the male is larger than the others. This week the 1 male has been pecking at the smallest white female?? I don't understand why he is doing that? He chases her away from treats and chases her around and pecks at her.

This picture is them about 2 weeks ago. Mama is the spotted guinea with the white dots on her chest looking at the camera. The 5 babies are eating the lettuce. This is in their outside run. I can't see to get the pictures of the inside to show you. But it's just a sectioned off area inside the coop where they are right beside the adults. Both can see each other all the time.
So I am hoping that with all these things in place it's a simple take down the chicken wire divider and everyone gets along?????????
Please tell me if that is wise and what to do to ensure that everyone is safe. My main concern is Jr. starting the pecking on the little white female and everyone does this? Or. the mama going after jr. and then everyone does that to him? Or I just stop being concerned and let nature do its thing.
Thank you for your advice!

- another question is do I make them all stay inside for a week or 2 so everyone knows its their home? The adults know when the light goes on to go home and roost.
The babies haven't left the coop other than the outside run. So are they good to just go right outside first thing with the adults?
Thank you - so many questions! Appreciate your advice!!

Attachments​

• D2A183D2-FA7A-4FDE-8D8B-5F25D85C7B61.jpeg
    D2A183D2-FA7A-4FDE-8D8B-5F25D85C7B61.jpeg
    641.5 KB · Views: 0

It should be as simple as just removing the divider! Being able to interact with each other through the chicken wire should mean they are well enough acquainted.
I would probably leave them all in there for some time once they are all together to get their order sorted out and you can check there’s no major bullying going on. And you will probably have to baby sit them for a few days after you do release them so you know the babies follow the adults home. They should learn fast enough if they are still following their mother around.

It should be as simple as just removing the divider! Being able to interact with each other through the chicken wire should mean they are well enough acquainted.
I would probably leave them all in there for some time once they are all together to get their order sorted out and you can check there’s no major bullying going on. And you will probably have to baby sit them for a few days after you do release them so you know the babies follow the adults home. They should learn fast enough if they are still following their mother around.
Thank you for the advice - will do! I'm excited but nervous for them. :)

Thank you for the advice - will do! I'm excited but nervous for them. :)
Oh goodness! Its been since Friday that we removed the chicken wire between the babies (13 weeks old now) and the adults. The adults will not let them come down from the perch to eat or even walk around! They peck at them if they are on the ground and the males(we have 3) viciously go after the baby male. I guess this is normal??? But really hard to watch! How long do they do this? Do they ever all get along?
Even the mamas aren't helping.
We have not allowed them to free range since taking down the wire. Trying to get them all acquainted and happy before that. I am afraid that they won't come back in because of the pecking.
suggestions? Is this normal? Just wait it out?

Oh goodness! Its been since Friday that we removed the chicken wire between the babies (13 weeks old now) and the adults. The adults will not let them come down from the perch to eat or even walk around! They peck at them if they are on the ground and the males(we have 3) viciously go after the baby male. I guess this is normal??? But really hard to watch! How long do they do this? Do they ever all get along?
Even the mamas aren't helping.
We have not allowed them to free range since taking down the wire. Trying to get them all acquainted and happy before that. I am afraid that they won't come back in because of the pecking.
suggestions? Is this normal? Just wait it out?
Oh no! No, it’s not normal for adults to attack integrated juveniles. There can be a little pecking but it should be very brief. What’s mama doing about this? Is she low ranking in the flock? Keets need to be able to access food and water. First thing in the AM, I would herd most of the adults out to free range, standing at the door with a stick (easier if you’ve trained them to be herded) to prevent the babies and mama from leaving. Even if you can get most adults out but can’t get them all out, that would be better than leaving keets to fend off aggressive adults. The keets need to figure out the food and water etc and feel comfortable in the coop. I wouldn’t let adults back in until near dusk so they don’t have time to go after the keets but go straight to roost. Then I’d let adults out first thing in AM again. I once had to do this for two weeks! I was so ready to stop being at the coop near dawn…

You may need to set up feeding and water outside until you get them integrated. Once keets are eating and drinking again, I’d next try letting half of them out with mama in afternoon to integrate with the flock outdoors. They need to work things out but your current situation sounds very dangerous for the keets! Outside they will have some room to get away and the existing flock may calm down if they don’t feel that the keets are crowding them. Good luck and please update us!!! :fl:fl:fl

Back
Top Bottom