Introducing...Maggie!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Magpie31, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Magpie31

Magpie31 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Hello!

Thought I would introduce myself. I am a married Mom of two (DS is 15, DD is 9) with number three arriving in late September. We live in town in South Dakota...just bought our house in October. I have always wanted to have chickens (I don't know why, I suspect you all do, though...), and since I just discovered that our city allows backyard chickens (no roosters, and they can't become a bother to the neighbors) I am trying to convince my DH that we need a few little hens in our yard. He has many questions, so I am here to do some research! I have a feeling I am going to find the answers I need, and since he gets a dreamy look in his eye when I start talking about fresh eggs, it shouldn't be too hard to convince him. DD is firmly on my side, and DS is convinced that I have completely lost my mind...but what teenager isn't convinced his parents are loons?

I look forward to meeting everyone, and learning from all of you! Hopefully one day I will be the wise, experienced chicken-raiser who can impart my knowledge to others![​IMG] Or at least the goofball having fun while I muddle through!

Maggie

2. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas, I also live in town and have back yard chickens I love my little flock. They are so much fun.

3. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] from MN. my DH likes to build things occasionally. That's what got him interested - the opportunity to build a coop. [​IMG] Hey whatever it takes.

4. Magpie31

Magpie31 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Quote:Oooo a Minnesotan! I lived in Mankato for years!

So, can I ask you something? How hard is it to keep the poor little things warm in one of our winters? Because that is the biggest thing I am worried about...

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. You'll find all the answers you need here at BYC.

6. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Maggie, [​IMG] from John in Ohio [​IMG] First thing you need to know is, chickens are addictive. [​IMG]

7. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia, Ca and [​IMG]

8. UrbanFarmerGirl

UrbanFarmerGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    Western Washington
    Maybe making it a project for your daughter will help win him over. I would caution against maing an argument for saving money if you want a little backyard flock... I tried that, and between the cost of the coop (free plan, cheap leftover paint/stain, cheapest possible lumber and plywood) and the feed, it is definitely not a great money saver. However, if you own your home and keep a good sized group for years and years, eventually it will become more cost effective. I view it more as a hobby, that repays us with friendly chickens and a few eggs every day. Once you start to get eggs, it is constant positive reinforcement. I think we'll always keep chickens, because it is really a lot of fun, and not too much work. One of the best money saving tips I can give you is to make friends with the produce guy at the grocery store. Our food co-op gives us big baskets of free produce trimmings and wilted lettuce, and that makes up about 50% of our chickens' diet.

9. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC

10. Arcnadius

Arcnadius Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Western WI
    [​IMG]

We are about to become a chicken family (11 days and counting!) and my DS - a teenager - also thinks I've fallen off my rocker. What do they know, anyway?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by