Introducing myself and questions!

Faulfarm.

In the Brooder
Dec 13, 2017
20171212_125618.jpg
20171203_181007.jpg
Hi everyone! Faulfarm here!
Me and my husband decided we wanted to raise/breed/sale rabbits about a little less than a year ago. We have two beautiful californian does named momma #1 & momma #2, and one study californian buck named joben. On Nov. 30th I got a call from a family member asking if I wanted her 2 female nubian dwarfs that were only 3 weeks old at the time and I said absolutely! So I went to pick them up that same day and once I got home, I found a surprise in the cage with momma #1! She had her first littler of 6 kits and had eaten 2 :( and the rest were in pretty bad shape, 2 days later I was down to one. I have a close friend that helped guide me through everything and gave me reasons in why she may have done that and what to do if she continues, (after about 3 days everything kicked in and she did wonderful with the one remainin kit!). Then a week later momma #2 had 4 kits and did wonderful. So that's the rabbits lol...... now the goats! I have 2 female dwarf nigerians! I was bottle feeding every 4hrs 4x a day, the breeder now suggested since they are 5w, that I take out a feeding once a week and replace it with a mix (1 handful of chaffhaye, 1/2 to 1 cup of calf manna, and 1/2 to 1 cup of medicated goat feed (I got producers show goat feed) and free access to hay 24/7) I've recently been seeing a lot about, too many grains being bad for them. Going off of the mix I've provided is what I'm giving them ok? I want to eventually be able to milk and breed these beauties, so I am willing to give them whatever they need to have the best healthough possible! Any goat info will be SO greatly appreciated! I'm literally 2 weeks into owning goats!:):D also they are gaining weight I am weighing them once a week and they both have gained a pound this last week!! Stool and urine look great, and they are super playful and love to follow momma (me!)

Last edited:
New mom's, or moms that are nervous can eat the babies from my reading. They need a quiet place they are used to, and stress should be kept low. Did you give her a nestbox? Her cage looks too open.

Goats can have some grain, especially if they are growing or milking, so a handful a day is okay with growing kids. The majority of the diet should be hay in order to develop a good functioning rumen.

I keep mostly let goats so not much grain is used here for goats.

@cassie is more familiar with milking goats. She will be along with some good advice.

I suggest you go to caprinesupply.com and order their catalog. They offer a great selection of books and supplies for goats, and the catalog itself is full of information. You might also buy a couple books. Storey's Guide to Raising Rabbits by Bob Bennett and one of the Storey books on goats are good ones to start with and they are not expensive. I got mine from amazon.com. Your goats can be weaned at eight weeks. What you are feeding sounds OK to me. They should have a salt block available. Your goats need to be vaccinated with CD/T as soon as possible. CD/T is for tetanus and enterotoxemia.

Back
Top Bottom