Introducing myself, and the ladies

Millard

Songster
5 Years
Oct 15, 2018
The curve of the Danube, Hungary
Hello!

My name is Richard and I live in Hungary, near Budapest.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
(1) We first got chickens when I was around the age of 6, and I got my first own bantam pair for my 10th birthday, and, considering I'm 30 now, I would say that I'm not new to chickens.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
(2) Currently I own 10 lovely hens.

(3) What breeds do you have?
(3) 3 of them are Booted Bantams, 5 of them are Cochin Bantams, and I have 2 Lakenvelder Bantams.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
(4) Well, a long time ago when I was reading about the different bantam breeds. (Google is your friend, after all.)

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
(5) Reading books, watching movies & series, riding the bike and hiking. Travelling as well, but that is on hold with my 14 month old daughter :D

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
(6) I live together in a family house with a small garden with my wife and aforementioned daughter. And of course the ten tiny ladies. We currently have no other pets, but plan to have a border collie to look out for the ladies - human and fowl.
I work as an accountant for an American company.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
(7) I have known about BYC for at least ten years now... Why I finally joined is due to two reasons:
- I wanted to anyway, since we finally moved in our own house now, and want to grow the flock
- I had a specific question which I thought the great community here could help answer, and indeed they did! :) For which I am very grateful!

(The pictures are of my booted bantams and lakenvelder bantams, the cochin bantams are new additions.)

Thank you for reading this!
Have a great day,
Richard

Attachments

• IMG_20151210_154858[1].jpg
    IMG_20151210_154858[1].jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20170401_133908[1].jpg
    IMG_20170401_133908[1].jpg
    370.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20170401_133917[1].jpg
    IMG_20170401_133917[1].jpg
    304 KB · Views: 8
Hello!

My name is Richard and I live in Hungary, near Budapest.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
(1) We first got chickens when I was around the age of 6, and I got my first own bantam pair for my 10th birthday, and, considering I'm 30 now, I would say that I'm not new to chickens.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
(2) Currently I own 10 lovely hens.

(3) What breeds do you have?
(3) 3 of them are Booted Bantams, 5 of them are Cochin Bantams, and I have 2 Lakenvelder Bantams.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
(4) Well, a long time ago when I was reading about the different bantam breeds. (Google is your friend, after all.)

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
(5) Reading books, watching movies & series, riding the bike and hiking. Travelling as well, but that is on hold with my 14 month old daughter :D

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
(6) I live together in a family house with a small garden with my wife and aforementioned daughter. And of course the ten tiny ladies. We currently have no other pets, but plan to have a border collie to look out for the ladies - human and fowl.
I work as an accountant for an American company.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
(7) I have known about BYC for at least ten years now... Why I finally joined is due to two reasons:
- I wanted to anyway, since we finally moved in our own house now, and want to grow the flock
- I had a specific question which I thought the great community here could help answer, and indeed they did! :) For which I am very grateful!

(The pictures are of my booted bantams and lakenvelder bantams, the cochin bantams are new additions.)

Thank you for reading this!
Have a great day,
Richard
Welcome to BYC Millard.
With 20+ years of chicken keeping experience maybe you should be helping us with our questions.:)
I have a question for you. Did your bantams try to roost in trees?

Welcome to BYC Millard.
With 20+ years of chicken keeping experience maybe you should be helping us with our questions.:)
I have a question for you. Did your bantams try to roost in trees?
Thank you!
Only one of my breeds, the lakenvelder chicken tried to roost on trees. When I got them at 5 months old and let them out into the garden from their pen in the evenings/late afternoon, I had to take them off our apricot tree at dusk for the first few weeks and put them in their house to roost where they are safer. After a while they started to roost in their coop voluntarily :D

Do you have bantams that like to roost on trees?

Back
Top Bottom