Introducing myself as the new guy....

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cchapmanelectric, Jun 18, 2019.

1. cchapmanelectric

cchapmanelectric In the Brooder

Jun 14, 2019
    Hi all.
    My wife and I recently purchased my childhood home here in So Cali a year ago. We had always talked about a larger property than we had in the typical tract home where we were before and this is a great start with half acre. All the properties in this small town here are zoned for horses, primarily but all farm livestock is welcome in this little rural town in the center of larger city life areas.
    We've got 5 chickens ranging in age of approximately 10ish months to aroud 7 months for the last 2. One duck that we lost her mate a bit ago.
    I never dreamed chickens could have a personality! I figured they like you or they don't... nothing more. NOPE.... each one with it's own.
    We treat them as pets and let them "free range" on the back yard property. Mostly well manicured lawns with a 40 ft. pool that the duck seems to enjoy too much!
    I recently lost my Andalusian hen. She was my little baby. Run for me with open wings when I came home from being away. She died of heat being she found her way into my office without the AC on and a heat wave.
    We've got Americana's (2) (I'm still learning the breeds....) a yellow girl. a too with a tude.... I can't remember the exact breeds.
    There were more ideas of what to write on this introduction but I'll keep the novel to a minimum for now.
    Here's a pic of the little girl....
    20190426_195726.jpg

2. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    Welcome to BYC.

I'm sorry about your hen. If heat is a big problem, there are a lot of threads on here about how to cool chickens down in hot weather. Most of the people with that problem recommend sprinklers and standing ice water for them to put their feet in (since chickens mainly cool off through feet and comb.)

3. Perris

Perris Crowing

Jan 28, 2018
    Gower, Wales
  4. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here.

This is a useful link to take a look at - “How to...” guides. You may wish to consider including your location (using the guide in the link above). You can use this link to contact members in your area - U.S. States

Best wishes

Pork Pie

5. Leahs Coop

Leahs Coop Free Ranging

Nov 5, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hello,:frow and a warm welcome to Backyard Chickens! It's great to have you here with us!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens, the pulse beat of the chicken community :yesss:

7. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    Hello cchapmanelectric.
    Welcome to BYC.
    It's great when the town is animal tolerant.

8. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Cyprinus carpio

Aug 17, 2016
    Salt Lake City, UT
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! We're glad you decided to join our wonderful community! :welcome

9. ClucksAndCombs

ClucksAndCombs Free Ranging

Apr 19, 2018
    New England
    Welcome to BYC!:frow

Feel free to ask questions, there are so many wonderful and knowledgeable people who will answer them :)

Good luck with your flock!

10. Callender Girl

Callender Girl Crowing

Sep 18, 2018
    North Central Iowa
    I loved the picture of you and your baby, and I am so sorry she is gone. It looks like she had a great bond with you, and vice versa.

Welcome to BYC, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. It's a great place for people who recognize that chickens do, indeed, have personality!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: