introducing myself to the group

shai-j_criations

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 23, 2011
Although not new to raising animals i am new to poultry. so here are the intro questions with my answers:

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
i got in to chickens as a side note to getting my alpacas. i heard chickens are good for scooting the poop and keeping the bugs down. got a few older girls and they are great!! and it went from there!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
(3) What breeds do you have?
We have a dozen or so older barnyard ladies who work hard keeping my farm bug free as well as a few Americanas, couple of Buff Orpingtons, a couple of Barred Rocks, 3 partridge Cochins, one rumpless Auracan all cared for by my Barred Rock cross rooster. A trio of bantam Splash Cochins, a pair of gray/partridge silkies, a pair of Narragansett turkeys and a pair of Blue Slate turkeys (Blue Slate hen and Lavender Slate tom) round out the group. They all free range with my alpaca. The older hens are the favorite play toy for the new baby cria. An my studs love to follow the hens because they find the sweet corn chicken feed that they are NOT supposed to be eating. i have even had a few bantam Old English Game cocks (wheaten). they live at my sister's house now as 80 inches of snow this winter was not condusive to them free ranging!!

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
A friend of mine in Massachusetts told me about the site when i asked her where to find an incubator. still haven't found one but that is my next post.
wink.png

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I love my alpaca!! We have already had 3 babies this month.
and now i am getting in to hatching chicks. not that my broody girls aren't great but i want to raise turkeys to put in the freezer so i need to hatch the eggs the turkeys are laying.

Back
Top Bottom