Introducing Myself

Garden Bird

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2015
Hi! It's time to introduce myself:
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

We have had chickens for two years now. It has always been a dream of mine to have chickens and I don't regret doing it for a minute. They have been delightful. They live in our fenced in orchard and happily sleep in the trees at night. We happily share any extra fruit in our trees with them in exchange for them keeping our bug population under control.

We just recently added Indian Runner Ducks to the mix. We have no idea what we are doing but we are happily learning as we go.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

9 Chickens / 3 Ducks / 2 Ducks in the mail

(3) What breeds do you have?

Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, Ameraucanas, Indian Runner Ducks

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

When I was needing to prepare for the arrival of our chickens two years ago, I spent hours reading through the threads on this site. I found it by doing an Internet search and loved the friendliness of everyone here.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Gardening, sewing (when I have time), cooking (usually without a recipe), web design / graphic design, writing

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

We are a 3 kid, 9 chicken, 1 dog, 1 rabbit and soon to be 5 duck family. DH is a physical therapist and I am a homeschooling mom and work for our PT clinic remotely doing marketing. We live on 2.3 acres of land that will probably take the next 30 years to develop since we tend to be do-it-yourselfers on just about everything we do.

Do it your self is the best way to do things..imo.
Congrats!
And welcome to BYC.
You mentioned you've been lurking on the site for a long time, but I thought I'd share this "how to" video incase you need help navigating it.

Welcome to BYC, Garden Bird. :welcome Sounds like a good symbiotic relationship with the birds eating the bugs, and some of your fruit, so you get more fruit for yourselves that's not damaged by bugs.

Most of us are do-it-yourselfers, and garden too, so you will fit right in.

Most of us are do-it-yourselfers, and garden too, so you will fit right in.
Yes, I feel like I fit in! I learned very quickly as our chicks turned into adults that the average person doesn't really want to hear every detail about one's chickens. Ha! So it's great to have a place to go that not only wants to hear about them but offers great advice on enjoying them more.

Back
Top Bottom