Introducing new adult birds to my flock

It may be the pictures, but that doesn't look like a lot of space for 5 large birds, especially when integrating the new ones (it looks nice though!) . I'm glad it's working out so far, but keep that dog crate handy. If things don't go so well, maybe put the new ones in the crate and put it inside the coop. Then they are protected from the elements, separated, yet still able to get to know each other. I don't know if the crate will fit through the door, but if it will I'd recommend that.

As of 5pm all five were up on the roost together. I’m a little concerned about tomorrow with all the snow... they’ll be cooped up until it stops & I can clear the run.

As for 5 birds, I agree, it seems small - though they have plenty of room to roost. Plus 4 nesting boxes. I open the run every morning and they range out in the yard. The snow often keeps them in though. :(

Timing definitely wasn’t ideal, but it is what it is. Thank you all for your suggestions! Keeping my fingers crossed for a calm next few days.

Just ask questions as they arise. I'm on a few forums about various things and this is by far the friendliest. People are here to help

As of 5pm all five were up on the roost together.
That is a very good sign...roost time is the most contentious time for even a well established flock. Were they all 'touching' or crammed to the ends of roost?

Is your run protected, both top and sides, from the snow piling up inside?

I wonder how often your waterer gets spilled..or maybe you have changed things from this 2017 pic? How do you keep the water thawed?
upload_2018-11-16_7-54-46.png

That is a very good sign...roost time is the most contentious time for even a well established flock. Were they all 'touching' or crammed to the ends of roost?

Is your run protected, both top and sides, from the snow piling up inside?

I wonder how often your waterer gets spilled..or maybe you have changed things from this 2017 pic? How do you keep the water thawed?
View attachment 1591373

Interestingly, 4 were squished together at one end (2 new, 2 old), and 1 was all the way at the other end... but she always sleeps "alone" unless it's really cold.

I thought that it was a good sign they'd all roosted together, but THANK YOU for reassuring me. I'm only 1.5 yrs into chicken keeping, so I appreciate experienced knowledge!

No, my run isn't protected on the top/sides, so I have to shovel it out after every storm - I don't mind, it's good exercise, and I have to shovel paths through the yard anyhow. Annoying yeah, but not the end of the world.

Water doesn't spill if I keep it full. I have considered putting a cinderblock underneath though, just in case, just didn't want to take up any more "floor space", yk? In the winter, we switch to a heated watering fount (installed now) - I'll post a few new pics.

No, my run isn't protected on the top/sides, so I have to shovel it out after every storm - I don't mind, it's good exercise, and I have to shovel paths through the yard anyhow. Annoying yeah, but not the end of the world.
Yeah, I do some shoveling too...but can throw it thru the 2x4 run walls, and the birds have a large coop and some outside wind/snow breaks. So you might think about wind/snow blocking some of the run....tho this isn't your fist winter, correct?

They *sort of* ate together this morning - i put two dishes of treats out. Then they *sort of* grazed together after I finished shoveling the paths thru the snow. But for the most part, they've been staying in their groups of 2 and 3 and not interacting much. No fighting, just when 2 are in the coop, 3 are out, and vice versa.

Makes me sad... the new girls are very afraid of me too. They were rescues from a farm where who knows how they were treated -- but the farmer just up & quit one day, locked the door, and left all his hens to starve. Someone stepped in to try to help, but there were too many, and she ran out of money, so that's how they ended up at farm sanctuary.

People can be so cruel. :(

Yeah, I do some shoveling too...but can throw it thru the 2x4 run walls, and the birds have a large coop and some outside wind/snow breaks. So you might think about wind/snow blocking some of the run....tho this isn't your fist winter, correct?
It's our second Winter. The wall behind the run acts as a decent wind break, though some plastic wrap might be a good idea!

Sort of grazing together (note the following distance, haha):
1571627-17395fb2bd469a679511174101d4101d.jpg

Sort of eating together (this is before I shoveled, so the pop door is still closed):
1571629-6b79ea1ec4ad1276bdfa4e9530e540c0.jpg

Attachments

• grazing.jpg
    grazing.jpg
    397.3 KB · Views: 4
  • coop-new-girls.jpg
    coop-new-girls.jpg
    429.4 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom