Introducing new adult birds to my flock

As long as they are not beating on each other, and everyone gets enough to eat, nothing to worry about. It'll take time for the new birds to lose their fear.
Do you ever hand feed your existing birds?
Sit quietly in the run(not the best season for that) or just visit frequently and they'll get used to your presence.

Last edited:
As long as they are beating on each other, and everyone gets enough to eat, nothing to worry about. It'll take time for the new birds to lose their fear.
Do you ever hand feed your existing birds?
Sit quietly in the run(not the best season for that) or just visit frequently and they'll get used to your presence.

I do hand feed my girls all the time, and one even asks to be held, its very sweet. I hope the new girls come around... at least enough so they don't run from me!

I do hand feed my girls all the time,
Continue that, and toss some to the new girls at the same time and they'll get learn you're the 'feed bringer'.
It's only been a few days, move extra slow and talk extra soft, could take a few weeks for them to lose their natural fear.

Update: They're all roosted together again... 3, 1 and 1, but interestingly, the group of 3 is 1 "old" girl, and the 2 new girls, and the other two independents are 2 of my old group. Seems like a good sign.

Last night, my sweetest girl, one from the original 3, slept in a nesting box. I moved her up to the roost, but when I checked before bed, she’d put herself back in the nest box. :(
Fine when it’s 30 degrees but not when it’s 10.
I tried the 3 food bowls this morning and it helped, but the bully still patrols all the bowls, keeping everyone away.
As soon as I open the pop door, my old three rush out and stay out all day — today it’s cold and rain/snow but they just miserably stay outside while the new girls are warm & dry inside. This makes me sad.

Back
Top Bottom