introducing new chickens: question about "look but don't touch"

marisaalexandra

Chirping
7 Years
May 13, 2012
NorthernValley, NJ
Hi--

We had five birds hatch and three were roosters, and finally reluctantly parted with our last roo, since a neighbor was complaining. That left us with a Rhode Island Red and a sweet Leghorn, one of whom just started laying.

So we have two new buff orp girls, 9 weeks, in a dog carrier in the enclosed run of the coop, which is partitioned from the big girls by chicken wire. There has been a TON of talking back and forth through that wire (and given the extra-aggressive amorousness of one of our roos, formerly the sweet chick in my avatar, my daughters REALLY want the new intro to go as peacefully as possible).

My question is, if we let the two older ones out to roam, can we give the new pullets run of the coop while the others are gone, or will that feel like a provocation to the older hens, even if the newbies are safely back in the run when the big girls come home to roost?

Or am I overthinking this??

Thank you so much for being there.

Have you already quarantined them for a month?

There is bound to be some fighting. It all depends on the temperament and dynamic of your existing flock. Just ensure that everyone has enough to eat and drink (without being bullied away from the food/water).

As for your idea about giving the new ones run of the coop while the other ones roam, I can't imagine why that would provoke the older ones. I have 3 week old chicks free ranging with my adult flock. As long as they aren't pestering the older ones, everyone gets along well. I have little hiding places for the younger ones to escape if they are being bullied.

I think you should be fine. Don't over-think it too much :)

Thanks, Aoxa.... beautiful bird in your avatar, btw! I'm going back and forth between just throwing them onto the roosts late tonight, after a day of the girls talking across the partition, or just letting them take their slow week of confinement and boring each other.

The problem with this look-dont-touch method, besides the overall prolonged and subdivided confinement, is that my new orps are roosting in the enclosed run, and don't seem to like the extra shelter of the pet carrier. The coop has hardware cloth (with a buried edge) and a finished roof, but my backyard is just predator central: cats, raccoons, hawks.... the whole digging and tunnelling nine yards.

My daughter gets home from band practice at 10 and I suspect we'll be out there, stealthily slipping birds from the run roost to the coop roost and being awake enough to cope and hope for the best in the early hours.

I bought eleven Buff O chicks and brought them outside at eight weeks. I partitioned a corner of the pen off for them so they could get used to my older flock. I brought them together about a month later. I was concerned of the size differance of the two sets of birds but they did well with just a little fighting. There was a "pecking order" change for them all. Watch them and pull one out if they are being harrassed to injury. Heal and reintroduce if needed.

Thanks, Aoxa.... beautiful bird in your avatar, btw!  I'm going back and forth between just throwing them onto the roosts late tonight, after a day of the girls talking across the partition, or just letting them take their slow week of confinement and boring each other.  

The problem with this look-dont-touch method, besides the overall prolonged and subdivided confinement, is that my new orps are roosting in the enclosed run, and don't seem to like the extra shelter of the pet carrier.  The coop has hardware cloth (with a buried edge) and a finished roof, but my backyard is just predator central: cats, raccoons, hawks....  the whole digging and tunnelling nine yards.  

My daughter gets home from band practice at 10 and I suspect we'll be out there, stealthily slipping birds from the run roost to the coop roost and being awake enough to cope and hope for the best in the early hours.
No problem.

Let me know how it goes :)

And thanks!

I bought eleven Buff O chicks and brought them outside at eight weeks. I partitioned a corner of the pen off for them so they could get used to my older flock. I brought them together about a month later. I was concerned of the size differance of the two sets of birds but they did well with just a little fighting. There was a "pecking order" change for them all. Watch them and pull one out if they are being harrassed to injury. Heal and reintroduce if needed.

Hi-- Yeah, the buffs look so small compared to my two older girls! I still haven't merged the flocks yet, but I'm not sure I can hang on for a full month since each set of birds is more confined than usual, and the new girls are sleeping in the run. Hate that, for no rational reason given the tightness of the coop, but still. A month of a partition and they still squabbled, hm? I was kinda hoping the look-don't-touch approach to merging birds would have the effect of waving a wand and making aggression disappear completely. If they're going to pack it out anyway I might cut this dance short and stash them in there tonight.

My deepest human foibles (conflict avoidance, indecision....) are totally on view when I talk about my chickens!! Thanks, all.

No problem.
Let me know how it goes
smile.png

And thanks!

Hi-- Here's the upshot so far: we put the two buffies in on the perches with the two older girls last night after dark... The moon was very full and we were trying not to wake them up, so I felt like an idiot, or an adventurer, I'm not sure which.

I set my alarm extra early, went outside, and .... the buff O's were back on the perch outside in the run, with the older girls in the coop, door between them open. It was very quiet, but my RIR has made a point a few times of coming into the run and eating the new girls' food and chasing them around. I was advised to "let them resolve it" and I guess as long as no one gets banged up too much that's what I'll do.

I kind of mourn my flock's former peacefulness, and I'm wondering how long it will be before it's safe to let them all range together-- I'm scared the big girls will run the new ones off? Thanks....

I am going through the same thing with my three 13 wk olds and my older hens..DH finally said let them work it out. It is so hard for me to see the older girls picking on the babes. But no one is getting injured really just seem to be scared which I hope will pass soon. GL

I am going through the same thing with my three 13 wk olds and my older hens..DH finally said let them work it out. It is so hard for me to see the older girls picking on the babes. But no one is getting injured really just seem to be scared which I hope will pass soon. GL

That's what we're seeing: our Rhode Island red is SUCH a bully to the orpingtons; no blood but lots of chasing, pecking and drama. The advice I just got from the guy who sold me the orps came in a three word text, please excuse language but it made me laugh: he said to "***** slap bullies."
th.gif
I have seen people manage their flock mergers that way and I always thought "that won't be me, EVER." but if swatting the red (with more drama than force, just like she's using) would get her to ease up on the girls I am at the point where I'd consider it.

Anyone have advice for me on this?

Don't hit them. That's not going to work. If it doesn't work with dogs (who are much higher in intelligence) it's not going to work for chickens :p

You have two very different breed temperaments. RIRs are known for their bossy attitudes, and BOs are known for their very laid back - submissive personality types. The BOs will be on the bottom for a good while.

I would just let them do what they are doing. They will work it out eventually. Don't let the new ones range until they know where home is (ie: The coop).

Back
Top Bottom