Introducing new chickens to an existing fllock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by country101, Jun 4, 2012.

1. country101

country101 Hatching

May 27, 2012
    caledonia missouri
    I got 2 white Leghorns, 1 Brahma rooster, 1 red turkin, and 1 Leghorn mix chickens about a month and a half ago that were all getting along fairly well. Then I got 5 rhode island reds mixed with red rock and they are red. I brought them home and put them in with the other chickens in the run about 2 weeks ago. The new chickens seemed to be adapting fairly well and then my 2 white Leghorns and the rooster started trying to keep the new set of chickens at one end of the run. They have never gone into the chicken coop yet and the 2 white Leghorns and rooster are making sure that they don't. They stay huddled on the ground through the night all together in a ball at there end of the run. The new ones are not laying and i think its because they cannot get into the nesting box. Any advice on how to fix this problem if there is one and how to make peace between my chickens so that they will lay will be appreciated. They do get out of the run to free range occasionally and they still stay to there groups and the rooster runs back and forth between the two.

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    time is what you need. they will eventually get over it, but it aint pretty til they do.

3. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Songster

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    You might try removing the dominant chicken for a few days - put them out of sight. And then re-introduce that bird. It can help reshuffle the chain and maybe give the new birds a chance to integrate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: