1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Introducing new chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cgibbs777, Sep 26, 2015.

1. cgibbs777

cgibbs777 New Egg

Sep 26, 2015
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    I have 6 RIR hens that are 6 months old that I've raised from 2 weeks old. We have a friend who has 2 frizzle hens that are 5 months old. 1st question is can this be a possibility to add to our flock and if so how do I introduce them. I have heard Reds are kinda bullies and may not accept them.

2. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flocK! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

I hear that soo often. Grrr..I love them. I would think they will have the normal squabble, hen pecking order, but will soon settle down to who is who. They are close enough in age, I would just put them together. I love the RIR's.

4. chickmomma03

chickmomma03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    I had to do a look but don't touch approach with mine after trying to slowly introduce and it failing big time (bigs were relentlessly pecking/picking on/bullying while we were out for supervised visits). I built a mini coop inside the exercise run that housed the little ones. I kept them in there for a few weeks before they came out and merged with the flock. Most of the bigs leave the littles alone now, except for an occasional "put you in your place". The only 2 that are giving a bit of a problem (seeking out once in a while to peck at/pick on) are the lowest in the pecking order of the bigs. It's not anything like before though so I don't intervene unless they get out of line.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Fore!
    [​IMG]

7. steven29128

steven29128 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    South Carolina USA
    Welcome to BYC !

Sometimes it works other times not so well. Just keep and eye on them when you do.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Flock Master Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If you have some continuing bullies - get pinless peepers for them. It prevents them from seeing straight ahead so throws off their aim.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by