Introducing new chickens

cgibbs777

Hatching
Sep 26, 2015
Lake Havasu City, AZ
I have 6 RIR hens that are 6 months old that I've raised from 2 weeks old. We have a friend who has 2 frizzle hens that are 5 months old. 1st question is can this be a possibility to add to our flock and if so how do I introduce them. I have heard Reds are kinda bullies and may not accept them.

Welcome to the BYC flocK! We are glad you joined us!

jumpy.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

I hear that soo often. Grrr..I love them. I would think they will have the normal squabble, hen pecking order, but will soon settle down to who is who. They are close enough in age, I would just put them together. I love the RIR's.

I had to do a look but don't touch approach with mine after trying to slowly introduce and it failing big time (bigs were relentlessly pecking/picking on/bullying while we were out for supervised visits). I built a mini coop inside the exercise run that housed the little ones. I kept them in there for a few weeks before they came out and merged with the flock. Most of the bigs leave the littles alone now, except for an occasional "put you in your place". The only 2 that are giving a bit of a problem (seeking out once in a while to peck at/pick on) are the lowest in the pecking order of the bigs. It's not anything like before though so I don't intervene unless they get out of line.

If you have some continuing bullies - get pinless peepers for them. It prevents them from seeing straight ahead so throws off their aim.

Back
Top Bottom