Introducing new chickens

gemmag88

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 23, 2014
We currently have 2 gingers left from our flock from last year and have just bought 2 hybrids and 2 silkies - a mother and a chick at 10 weeks.

At the moment, the gingers are free range and the 2 hybrids (bought together) and the silkies are in separate pens. We are getting a new run to house them together at some point and I was wondering:

Would it be better to introduce the silkies to the gingers in the big pen first, before the two new hybrids? Will this be better for the silkies in the pecking order?

Or, the silkies to the new hybrids first and then bring the gingers in?

Or, should I just keep the silkies in a pen within the new pen until the chick is bigger, to allow the bigger ones to get used to them?

Or, keep the silkies in a own within the pen period?

Many thanks and sorry for all of the questions - I don't want to send my beautiful silkies to their deaths with the bigger birds!

I know it can be done. But I just for safety of my birds, keep my silkies in a different coop all together. I tried to Introduce a single silkie rooster once and it didn't work. But what I found works is adding one at time to my silkie pen/coop. I have a EE who just did not do well with my other flock and has stayed with my silkies and has done well. Silkies seem to except other birds easier. Right now I have 10, 8 week olds in with my silkies and everything seems fine. Good Luck!

Thanks for the reply!

So... Do you think that it would be better to put the silkies in the main pen first then and slowly introduce the others one at a time?

Back
Top Bottom