Introducing new chicks to older chicks??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by artsyrobin, Mar 19, 2009.

1. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    how do you introduce bantam chicks to standard chicks? they are a week apart in age, and have been in separate brooders, but the same room- one of the banties will hop in with the standard girls- found out he is probably a roo

2. chick'n'run

chick'n'run Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2009
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    are the banams younger? cause if they were older, then in my not very educated guess then if the standards were younger, then they would be okay? since the bantams would be bigger? i don't know...

3. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    How old are they? Very young still, I'm guessing. Just let them play together and see how they are together. Rescue if necessary and keep trying. Give them plenty of room to get away from one another if they want to.

Good luck! [​IMG]

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    The sooner you get them together in one place the better. Just make sure they have plenty of room to move around and watch for any bullies. Last year my bantams were raised with some standard chicks that were younger and they got along just fine.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    They are probably young enough they will be ok. Try and see how they interact. The sooner you integrate them the better.

6. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    ok, i had them together for a few minutes- everyone got along except one of the Orpingtons, who kept pecking at them, so i seperated them again- here are a couple pics from tonite-

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by