Introducing new chicks to older chicks??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by artsyrobin, May 1, 2009.

1. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    hi, i have 4 banties, one i think is a roo, when i have tried to introduce a my silkies(week olds) he seemed to consider them intruders and went after them, i have had them in an enclosure so they can hear and see them,the other banties don't seem too upset by their presence...

this is snow, duccle...possible roo
    [​IMG]

and the silkies

[​IMG]

not sure what to name them yet, they are so sweet!

2. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    From just the pics, I'd hold off until the little ones are older before trying to get them together.

3. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    ok, thanks, snow was not happy at all, his head feathers up - usually all of them are mellow...will try again in a couple weeks...

4. aidenbaby

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    How old are your older chicks? If it is a couple of weeks you might be able to, I would just watch the older chicks reaction to them. My 3 weeks olds have been completely ignoring my under a weekers and so I feel that they are fine for now. One of my little chicklets even follws the 3 weekers everywhere in the brooder.

5. aidenbaby

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    The reason I had said what I did is that your older chicks look like adults in the pictures. I would try an introduction and watch everyones reaction.

6. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    The older ones are are almost 2 months- but are accepting, the white one is almost a month and he/she is a bit testy so the silkies are back in their enclosure in the same room...

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Put the aggressive bird in jail and put the others together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by